PDA

View Full Version : Job well done except some minor problems

ARMac
03-12-2007, 08:02 AM
My first post here.

I used to like knoppix since the first time i saw it and that would be back in the 3.5 version. Recently i got the 5.1-CD version and decided to install it to HD regardless of all the warrnings that maybe a pure debian distribution could work well. I must admit i tryed couple of new versions (by now i had red-hat 9.1 and decided to upgrade) including mandriva 2007 one, Gentoo, Ubuntu and of course Knoppix.
Mandriva was working straight forward but lacks auto-configuration scripts and auto mount devices and partitions (at least for me) and those kind of things are most annoying for newbs. I also dislike the orange theme all around.
Gentoo was preety good but comparing it with knoppix (cd) it had very little software included. I also prefeer KDE over Gnome.
Ubuntu was excelent expect it had Gnome, later i found out there is Kubuntu, alltho i don't know if its the same project only with KDE.
So i decided to stick to knoppix and install it to HD. Instalation finished without error, all my partitions and hard drives were auto detected and mounted, all of my hardware was also detected without error, hence its older hardware.

MSI KT400
Athlon 2000+
768mb ram
MSI GeForce 5900XT
Maxtor 80gb ATA 7200rpm - 8mb cache
Western Digital 20GB ATA 7200rpm
Mactor 40gb ATA 5400rpm
LG-DVDrw 18x
Sony CDrw 52x
Abit hotrod on PCI

So it went fine, but GRUB seems to hang a bit, before the blue screen of selection appears. This might be conflict between the maxtors and WD so i rest my case (the delay is about 6-7 secconds so its not that bad). Booted in KDE loged in and i noticed konq. has wrong file association with AVI and some other files, trying to play them directly in Xine instead of Kaffeine-Xine, thus resoulting an error, but simple correction in settings fixed this.
The next problem was with the root shell, it refused to launch complaining about permissions or something like that. I searched the forums and found out that i should do the following.
Launch Konsole.
# SU
# VISUDO

Add the normal user just under the root.
I don't know how good or bad this is but it obviously fixed the problem. Root konsole launched just fine.
Next i downloaded the nvidia driver in order to get some 3D going. After the download completet i shutted down X and loged in as root.

# SH NVIDIA-Linux.......pkg1.run

The installer complained about the linux kernel source and decided to look on nvidia's FTP. It didnt find anything. Then was asking for the kernel source and it couldnt find one in /usr/src. Here the installer halted. So as a preety damn newb i decided to search for the kernel source (i have the CD version so no kernel-source) and i found it on ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/ unfortunately there where 7 or 8 versions of the 2.6.19 kernel. UNAME -A gave output something like kernel version 2.6.19 #7 so i tought its the 2.6.19.7 and i downloaded it to /usr/src ( i have a very slow internet connection so it took a while ). Launched the nvidia installer again but the same problem occured. Little more googlin and I found out that knoppix uses custom kernel and that the source is only included on the DVD version. I then remembered seeing a debian guide about building standard kernel. I downloaded the standard 2.6.20 versiona and followed the guide. compiled the standard .deb and used the configuration of the running 2.6.19 kernel. Everything went well, it compiled and i updated GRUB.
Restarting and booting the new kernel, added hardware profile on the first boot and KDE started. Now when i try to launch konsole (any konsole) it complains about permissions on TTY and says Konsole needs read/write permissions. Did i miss something when i compiled the kernel? Is it possible to fix this without recompiling again? Also USB-mice didn't work as well so i hook;t it up on PS/2 (A4-tech 800dpi). In other hand nvidia installer installed the driver without problems now. If everything else fails i will download the DVD version.

As a desktop distro for begginers knoppix works excelent (except it uses VESA driver), tons of software and DivX/DVD/MP3 support right outside the box. It looks nice, actually it looks best and it's a real eye-candy. Network card configuration script is preety straight-forward and works like charm. Since its debian based distro, kpackage and apt-get works as well so software updating shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks in advance, Dejan.

hal8000
03-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I think your question now relates to permissions in konsole after installing a new kernel. I may be wrong, but think this is a kde issue, so to proe this create a new user and login to kde.

Regarding nvidia, with knoppix 5.11 I used apt-get update , then apt-get install nvidia-kernel (and dependencies which took me back to a slightly earlier kernel 2.6.18-4) but Nidia works, and beryl, no problems.

I agree with you, for a live distribution, knoppix has some pretty powerful features, it also comes into its own
as a repair disk for windoze, having write capility for ntfs, I have used it many times for data recoery on windows systems, and for repair.

ARMac
03-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your reply.
I solved the problem by downloading the DVD version and i think it was worth the effort since this version is filthy rich with software :wink: nVidia works now openGL works fine (tested with cube game) everything is superb except wine , when i try to create fake windows drive in base setup, it freezes completly. Nothing works not even ctrl+alt+F1 or ctrl+alt+backspace. I will try adding wine repositories and updating.

JohnnyH
03-14-2007, 10:25 AM
... everything is superb except wine , when i try to create fake windows drive in base setup, it freezes completly. Nothing works not even ctrl+alt+F1 or ctrl+alt+backspace. I will try adding wine repositories and updating.Yes that should work. I found that I had to remove the winehq repositories, remove the Knoppix-installed wine packages, and re-install wine from the (now-default) Debian repositories. This worked for me, although N.B. my use of wine is limited - I don't use gaming programs. :wink: