PDA

View Full Version : No mouse with Knoppix 5.1.1 on Virtual PC 2007

ertw
03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone

I've just downloaded the Knoppix 5.1.1 CD image, and can't get the mouse to work under Virtual PC 2007. It seems as though Linux 2.6.19 isn't detecting the PS/2 mouse.

Knoppix 5.0.1 (Linux 2.6.17) works fine. In "dmesg" I see this line:

serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

And in /proc/interrupts, there is:

12: 578 XT-PIC i8042

However, on Knoppix 5.1.1, I don't see either of the above. The "pci=irqmask=0x0e98" option mentioned in the FAQ doesn't help.

A quick web search reveals that other people are having similar problems with other distros, but I did not find any solutions. Any help would be appreciated.

-- graham

jacksonon
03-19-2007, 06:29 PM
I am having the same exact problem...

jelzimme
03-20-2007, 12:10 AM
This is also happening with Virtual PC 2004 and a USB Mouse

pieper
03-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Looks like this problems goes has been floating around for a couple months. My VPC 7 Knoppix 5.1.1 is also mouseless. Any word yet on fixes?

pieper
03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I am way too new to understand this info, but perhaps it may mean something to one of the knoppix gurus here.

For those interested here is a link for Apple 15 aluminum powerbook info: http://tstotts.net/linux/gentoopb.html taken from http://www.linux-on-laptops.com (this is a wealth of info for all types of hardware.)
Most versions of X11 support 3-button mouse emulation; however, it is not as configurable or robust as the kernel solution. If compiled-in, the kernel supports 3-button mouse emulation, configurable via sysctrl.

# zgrep '^CONFIG.*EMUMOUSE' /proc/config.gz

CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y

I prefer the ENTER key as Right-button and Fn-ENTER as Middle-button, where ENTER is the keypad enter key adjacent to the right-hand Apple command key. This way, the emulated buttons are adjacent to the trackpad itself.

# sudo grep mouse /etc/sysctl.conf

dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation = 1
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button3_keycode = 96
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode = 127

To use an external USB mouse, the kernel module usbhid must be loaded or compiled-in. Interestingly, some USB mice misbehave after a suspend-to-ram or a lengthy idle period; and they will never operate again unless plugged into a different USB port or a reload of the usbhid module. One such mouse with these troubles is: Kensington PocketMouse Pro Wireless 72117.

An adequte work-around for troublesome USB mice (and keyboards) is to compile the module usbhid as a module rather that compiled-in, and reload as necessary.

# zgrep '^CONFIG.*USB_HID' /proc/config.gz

CONFIG_USB_HID=m
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT_POWERBOOK=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y

# modprobe -r usbhid
# modprobe usbhid

ethelred
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm a newbie, and have the same issue as above.

I've been trying to play with Knoppix with VPC 2007 also, just so I can get my feet on the ground with Linux.

I've tried 5.0.1 CD and this works absolutely fine until shutdown, when the window just goes blank and remains open (doesn't close like other OSes when the machine is turned off)

Whereas, with the DVD, I get the same issues with the mouse.

I have been looking in the log for boot-up:

Has it got anything to do with the iSCSI interface as this is loaded prior to allowing PS/2 controller to load?

I seem to recall Virtual PC having iSCSI interface devices as part of the emulated hardware.

The lines in question don't seem to error though, these are the only lines that mention mice:

Uniform CD-ROM driver revision: 3.20
Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724.<6>PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP
0f03:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
EISA: Probing bus 0 at eisa.0

Maybe irq conflict? I'm unsure as I've not been able to look at a fully working model to compare.

brakerm19
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
- "i8042.noloop" makes the PS/2 mouse work, otherwise it's stuck in
the center of the screen; reference: comment #45 at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=223606

- "psmouse.proto=imps" makes the mouse wheel work; optional as it's
not that usefull during the install, but usefull to add it to kernel
options for normal system use.

root
10-12-2007, 04:04 AM
using vpc 2007 and knoppix 5.1 , mouseless... i think i'm going to try burning the dvd though.

root
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
logitech g5 laser usb, btw, in case anyone wants to help me

jjooeh
10-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Same problem here, with Virtual PC and a generic, optical, five button, ps2 mouse. I did find a way to use the pointer with the number pad. I pressed ctrl+Q to close the browser at first. Then I think it was alt+F1to open the menu (at bottom left). From there I used the arrow keys, tab button and the spacebarto open the control panel, peripherals and mouse. After that the tab on the right holds the option to use the number pad to control the mouse. Though after getting that set up, I think it was easier to navigate the desktop using the keyboard the way I was at first. This is hardly an ideal solution. I'm still new to Linux and most of what is said here is way over my head, but I'm having fun exploring the different distributions. Using the cursor this way might be obvious to some, and is not much better than useless when it comes to actually getting anything done. But it could be helpful to someone who is just checking it out for the first time. Now That I know I like it I have to figure out how to get it to work right.

Uncle Stinky
12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm having the same exact problem with my optical mouse. I have to (very slowly) pull the usb mouse cord out of the usb port that is located on the back of my computer, then, (very slowly) plug the cord back into the usb port that is located on the back of my computer. This way, the mouse cursor will move when I move the mouse instead of staying motionless in the middle of the screen after I boot up to Knoppix 5.1.1 desktop.

I do this slowly because I don't want to cause a spark between the usb port and the usb mouse cord connector. I have been told by competent technicians that we shouldn't connect or disconnect any electrical wires or hardware without first turning the computer off and disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer's power source box.

I really would like to know why my optical mouse never initializes until I unplug it and then plug it back in after completely booting up to Knoppix 5.1.1?!!!

US

Uncle Stinky
12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm having the same exact problem with my optical mouse. I have to (very slowly) pull the usb mouse cord out of the usb port that is located on the back of my computer, then, (very slowly) plug the cord back into the usb port that is located on the back of my computer. This way, the mouse cursor will move when I move the mouse instead of staying motionless in the middle of the screen after I boot up to Knoppix 5.1.1 desktop.

I do this slowly because I don't want to cause a spark between the usb port and the usb mouse cord connector. I have been told by competent technicians that we shouldn't connect or disconnect any electrical wires or hardware without first turning the computer off and disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer's power source box.

I really would like to know why my optical mouse never initializes until I unplug it and then plug it back in after completely booting up to Knoppix 5.1.1?!!!

US

Harry Kuhman
12-31-2007, 05:04 PM
;....I do this slowly because I don't want to cause a spark between the usb port and the usb mouse cord connector. I have been told by competent technicians that we shouldn't connect or disconnect any electrical wires or hardware without first turning the computer off and disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer's power source box.....
Electrical connections are either made or not made, how do you think that unplugging the connection very slowly matters? And on opening a connection with electricity flowing you may still get a spark. Actually you would be more likely to get a spark, but it would likely be over such a short distance that you might not notice it. And USB voltages are so low that noticeable sparking is extremely unlikely. More importantly though, USB is designed with the intention of "hot plugging", that is, it is intended by design to be plugged and unplugged while the computer is turned on. Any advice to not plug or unplug USB with the power on is bogus, to do it very slowly more so. Technicians who told you otherwise are not competent.

Uncle Stinky
12-31-2007, 10:18 PM
;....I do this slowly because I don't want to cause a spark between the usb port and the usb mouse cord connector. I have been told by competent technicians that we shouldn't connect or disconnect any electrical wires or hardware without first turning the computer off and disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer's power source box.....
Electrical connections are either made or not made, how do you think that unplugging the connection very slowly matters? And on opening a connection with electricity flowing you may still get a spark. Actually you would be more likely to get a spark, but it would likely be over such a short distance that you might not notice it. And USB voltages are so low that noticeable sparking is extremely unlikely. More importantly though, USB is designed with the intention of "hot plugging", that is, it is intended by design to be plugged and unplugged while the computer is turned on. Any advice to not plug or unplug USB with the power on is bogus, to do it very slowly more so. Technicians who told you otherwise are not competent.

Thanks, Harry, for the update on the very important "static spark" problems that will occur when we connect electrical wires and components to our computers without disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer's case!!!

When you discover why our mice continually fail to initialize, I'd love to hear from you on that subject also, in addition to anything else that you may have to say on any subject. Without trying to flatter you, you seem to be very, very knowledgeable in this wonderland of Unix-Linux OS and computer technology in general (or overall). I'm sure that everyone appreciates your help and you can be certain that I do too!

Blessings

US

Uncle Stinky
01-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks, Harry, for the update on the very important "static spark" problems that will occur when we connect electrical wires and components to our computers without disconnecting the power cord from the back of the computer's case!!!

When you discover why our mice continually fail to initialize, I'd love to hear from you on that subject also, in addition to anything else that you may have to say on any subject. Without trying to flatter you, you seem to be very, very knowledgeable in this wonderland of Unix-Linux OS and computer technology in general (or overall). I'm sure that everyone appreciates your help and you can be certain that I do too!

Blessings

US

Harry Kuhman
01-08-2008, 08:20 AM
A static spark, caused by a build up of static electricity, is a completely different animal. It is certainly to be avoided,and is particularly likely in times of low humidity (such as in a warm house in the winter).

But for more discussion of hot plugging and USB (and other technologies designed and intended to be hot plugged, such as PCMCIA and SCSI) see this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_swapping), or do a simple Google search.

Certainly with Knoppix, while you can plug in USB devices safely with the system powered up, you might not actually be able to use them if Knoppix didn't see them when it booted and did it's hardware detection, or if it doesn't have drivers for them. As to your mouse problem, I don't know the answer, it could be something as simple as a mouse with a broken intermittent wire in the tail. My only point in posting was to avoid any further proprigation of bad information about USB hot plugging.

Uncle Stinky
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
A static spark, caused by a build up of static electricity, is a completely different animal. It is certainly to be avoided,and is particularly likely in times of low humidity (such as in a warm house in the winter).

But for more discussion of hot plugging and USB (and other technologies designed and intended to be hot plugged, such as PCMCIA and SCSI) see this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_swapping), or do a simple Google search.

Certainly with Knoppix, while you can plug in USB devices safely with the system powered up, you might not actually be able to use them if Knoppix didn't see them when it booted and did it's hardware detection, or if it doesn't have drivers for them. As to your mouse problem, I don't know the answer, it could be something as simple as a mouse with a broken intermittent wire in the tail. My only point in posting was to avoid any further proprigation of bad information about USB hot plugging.

I was curious about this (apparently) worldwide problem with USB optical mice not initializing because it is so frequently seen in chat rooms and forums. Thanks, again, for your compassionate help with this matter.

US

Harry Kuhman
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Actually, I don't see mice initialization problems here very frequently at all, unless they are some special mouse that needs drivers that Knoppix does not have (some wireless mice, mice on steroids that have grown extra buttons or trackballs, and so on). My expectation is always to expect Knoppix to detect a normal mouse as long as it is properly connected when Knoppix boots.

Uncle Stinky
01-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Actually, I don't see mice initialization problems here very frequently at all, unless they are some special mouse that needs drivers that Knoppix does not have (some wireless mice, mice on steroids that have grown extra buttons or trackballs, and so on). My expectation is always to expect Knoppix to detect a normal mouse as long as it is properly connected when Knoppix boots.

It seemed like an epidemic here in Florida, USA, when I noticed this problem about optical mice on five different computers. Two of the computers used Micro$oft mice--the other computer used a Logitech brand--one of the computers used a Targus brand--and the final one used a Fellowes Ergo mouse. All of this happend in 2007. Perhaps we're feeling the undesirable effects of a strong solar storm down here in Tampa, Florida, and it's possibly vexing those sensitive optical devices. Five different people with exactly the same mouse problem on their five different motherboards raised a red flag and I thought that it merited some attention, whereas, those primitive roller ball mice have never exhibited such frustration to me. (And I can't remember ever having one of those fossils fail to initialize, except for one time, back in 1995, when I was desperately moved by despair while trying to install Windows 95 onto a nearly worn out hard drive with multiple corrupted sectors on it!)

Namaste

US

Uncle Stinky
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
the following is what the command "lspci -v" (without the quotation marks) produced when the Logitech Optical USB mouse failed to initialize on boot up. I do not see any other relevant information on this mouse, such as model number and etc. located on the bottom of it.

So, the command that is named lspci -v shows the following report;

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 5770
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 5778
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at ee000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
I/O ports at d800 [size=32]

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
I/O ports at d000 [size=32]

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
I/O ports at d400 [size=32]

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
Memory at ee080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff
Memory behind bridge: ec000000-edffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 40000000-400fffff

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
I/O ports at <unassigned>
I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
Memory at 40100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
I/O ports at 0500 [size=32]

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 5771
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
I/O ports at e400 [size=64]
Memory at ee081000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at ee082000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

01:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems V.92 56K WinModem (rev 03)
Subsystem: Agere Systems Unknown device 044c
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
Memory at ed001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
I/O ports at c400 [size=256]

01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 577c
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 23
I/O ports at c800 [size=256]
Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 40000000 [disabled] [size=64K]

And, I would love to hear from you about anything that you know from viewing this output from the command named lspci -v on this computer that has failed to recognize the optical mouse after booting up to the KDE desktop. (After copying and pasting this report in this post, I simply removed the USB cord from the back of the computer and then plugged it back into the same USB port and this caused the mouse to start to work.)

alivec
02-01-2008, 01:07 AM
im haveing the same problem i was wondering if it was because i was useing a touch-pad or if it was just a no mouse problem

Uncle Stinky
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I took my optical mouse apart and cleaned all of the cat hairs and incrustations that have collected inside. It seems to work a little better but it still malfunctions on a daily basis. I also ran a diagnostic on all four of my optical mice and the benchmark told me that they were all "bad" !!! I bought them in 2006.

It looks like a conspiracy of some of the technology manufacturers to purposely make products that will require replacement within a couple of years (or months). Similar to Microsoft's underhanded marketing strategy. Anything that Microsoft makes will need to be replaced in a very short time from the date that it was purchased because ALL Microsoft products (hardware and software) are designed to malfunction. Anything that is made by this large group of Microsoft hoodlums should be taken out of the marketplace so that unwary customers won't continue to blindly throw their money toward these people who engage in fraudulent and criminal practices--people who sponge off of others and who avoid
honest work!!!

Long Live LINUX !!!

US

im haveing the same problem i was wondering if it was because i was useing a touch-pad or if it was just a no mouse problem

Apron
02-25-2008, 04:05 PM
It happened to me as well, but with QEMU (another virtual machine tool) it works.

brakerm19
04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
- "i8042.noloop" makes the PS/2 mouse work, otherwise it's stuck in
the center of the screen; reference: comment #45 at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=223606

- "psmouse.proto=imps" makes the mouse wheel work; optional as it's
not that usefull during the install, but usefull to add it to kernel
options for normal system use.

Ill try to explain this again:
at knoppix boot instead of hitting enter or typing knoppix only you need to pass it kernel options:
knoppix i8042.noloop psmouse.proto=imps

I hope that helps ya. :)

marcusp500
05-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I am running microsoft virtual pc 2007 and using wireless keyboard and mouse. The keyboard works but the mouse didn't. I put in "i8042.noloop usbmouse.proto=imps" and it worked