PDA

View Full Version : Please - Need help with Linux kernel headers

ron653
03-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Hi.
I'm new in Linux.

I want to install Aircrack-ng on my laptop.
The wireless card I have is Realink with rt61 chipset.

I downloaded Knoppix and run it as live cd then I downloaded the rt2570 driver according to the instructions:
http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=newbie_guide

Problem is that when I try to compile the driver with "make" I receive error.

I checked and it seems that I need the Linux kernel headers .
Is it possible to install it with Knoppix live CD or must I install full Linux on my laptop ?

Thanks

onemyndseye
03-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Youll need the DVD release if you want to keep running in a LiveCD.... and even then it still may not compile when running "Live"

otherwise you can install the CD version to your HD and upack and setup the kernel source-tree from ftp.kernel.org

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

w_barnes
04-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Youll need the DVD release if you want to keep running in a LiveCD....

Does that mean the CD version cannot be extended with new packages, drivers, etc. that are only available as source?

I have a similar problem installing the slmodemd driver for my winmodem (soon to be linmodem :wink: ). The pre-compiled version requires Glib 2.4 but Knoppix 5.1.1 has version 2.3.6. The installation notes indicate that for kernal 2.6 I have to download the full source tree not just the kernal headers.

If the only way is a hard drive install, can I get away with a poor mans install? (tohd/fromhd)

I was thinking before that maybe I could upgrade glib but after reading this thread it seems that would not be the best way to go, is that correct?

Thanks,
Walter

onemyndseye
04-20-2007, 08:13 AM
In theory it should with with poor mans install since you wouldnt be mounting a "Persistant Home" and changes to the unionfs would be written there..... but it doesnt always work out this way :)

If you need to do alot of installing/compiling... either installing the LiveCD to your HD or going with a differnet distro of Linux would probably be your best bet (IMHO)

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

w_barnes
04-20-2007, 12:33 PM
...since you wouldnt be mounting a "Persistant Home"...

Ok, I don't understand that part... from the PMI faq I got the impression you set up both a persistant home and use tohd/fromhd together. Right now I'm only using the persistant home because I don't know if tohd will format the entire partition or simply create a directory. The faq is somewhat vague on that point.

Also, I plan on using Knoppix to learn Linux and ultimately tackle the Linux From Scratch book. The most installing I need to do is to get hardware working correctly. I made a mistake in my last post: slmodemd is dependent on GLibc 2.4 not Glib. I found out this is the gcc C library and the current version used in debian is 2.3.6. Looks like I'll have to try compiling slmodem from source.

Thanks for your help,
Walter

rusty
04-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Do yourself a big favor and find a linux distro that supports your hardware out of the box. Trying to compile drivers that need different glibc versions, kernel headers and such from knoppix live cd is more of a pain than it's worth.

The slmodem drivers were included in Kanotix www.kanotix.com , which is very similar to knoppix. Take a look at distrowatch for live cd's that are better suited to you needs.

Good luck.

w_barnes
04-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea..... except that I'm in the Philippines and Linux is damn hard to find here. On top of that it takes about a week to download a single CD so as the old phrase goes "beggers can't be choosers" :( This is why I want to build my own Linux from scratch; it's easier to download a single package at a time as opposed to a complete distro in one lump.

Since it's live CD, if something goes terribly wrong all I have to do is reboot so I'm going to try building the slmodemd drivers. I'm not going to attempt to change/upgrade gcc the c lib or anything else that comes with Knoppix and will instead see if the driver can be compiled against glibc 2.3.6.

Wish me luck! :D

Walter