PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix from Hard Disk (need help)

jorrigal
03-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi,

I want to boot the knoppix form the hard disk rather cd-rom. As i search lot of sites for the tips to boot knoppix from hard disk and i found 3 tip , but these are not working.

i have KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
File system:FAT32
The following are the command followed by error messages

1) i went into the following directory c:\knoppix\boot\isolinux after booting from the bootable cd and i typed the following command

"loadlin.exe linux root=/dev/hda1 initrd=minirt.gz lang=en ro"

ERROR:

warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernal panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=options to kernel

2)According to second tip i booted from the knoppix cd and typed the following command

boot:knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2

ERROR:

Copying knoppix cd failed /dev/hda1 is not mountable

3)i have .iso file in my system, so following the thrid tip i booted from the knoppix cd and typed the following command

boot:knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1/k*.iso

ERROR:

can't find knoppix filesystem
hidden built in commands
cat mount umount insmod rmmod ismod

knoppix#

I am so desperate to learn linux , formatting and installing new linux is not reliable for me, because my brother and i using the same system and he is doing a project on windows.

ARMac
03-16-2007, 07:05 AM
No.
1. Burn the ISO image to DVD.
2. Boot from CD-ROM
3. On Boot: Just press enter.
4. Wait for knoppix to load entirely (including KDE)
5. in shell type "knoppix-installer"
6. Follow the instructions, when you get to the part about bootloader choose GRUB to be installed on master boot record (MBR)
Good Luck.

ARMac
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Here is reliable simple guide how to install it correctly. I advice you intergrade some small HDD (at least 10gb) and install linux on it while keeping windows on your main HDD since you need it.

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

jorrigal
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
can u please tell me how to install knoppix into harddisk without disturbing the WinXP. I have downloaded the grub-1.95.tar.gz and grub-1.95.tar.gz.sig. I extracted the grub-1.95.tar.gz and it contain boot, command, conf and lot more files(consist of 46 items). I dont know what to do next.

Please be patience and explain step by step how to install knoppix

Zannyuk
03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
I have similar issues. Im nervous as i dont want to trash my xp system. Ive made the right partions with qparted but when it gets to the grub part of the knoppix installer ive stopped it says mbr or root partition now im not going to do mbr but if i do root partition will it mess things up as well? To be honest id rather just use smart boot manager and boot from dvd whenever i want to use linix.
So whats the next step thats not going to ruin my xp install?

hat_monkey
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
3)i have .iso file in my system, so following the thrid tip i booted from the knoppix cd and typed the following command

boot:knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1/k*.iso

ERROR:

can't find knoppix filesystem
hidden built in commands
cat mount umount insmod rmmod ismod

knoppix#

this code format does work and saves a lot of wear and tear on your CD player.
you have to have the correct address of the Knoppix.iso in the argument and needless to say, the KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso must actually be on your harddrive in the place specified.
quite a number of timesI have succesfully used something like exactly:

knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/home/ubuntu/K*.iso

hat_monkey
05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
This method of booting

knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/you_home/your_sub_directory/etc/K*.iso

is so convienient I am wondering why the distributions dont use two .iso's.
One knoppix.iso which contains just enough to get to the booting stage and this first knoppix.iso is burned to a CD as usual, and then second larger knoppix2.iso which has all the main goodies on it. The second knoppix2.iso then is not restricted to just 700MB as it need never be burned to disk and the second knoppix2.iso is stored somewhere conveniently located on the harddisk and booted from the code used when booting the first knoppix.iso in the CD player.

perhaps it is also possible to boot a DVD knoppix.iso from a CD player this way? Haven't tried it. My download speed groans at even CD.iso's :)
Perhaps with the new
apt-get install aria2 it will all be possible at lightning speed. see
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27083&highlight=aria2

many comments please.