PDA

View Full Version : Can't install Knoppix 5.1.1 with installer

Levi32
03-17-2007, 02:22 AM
I've downloaded the ISO for knoppix5.1.1 and made a good cd, which checks out fine on md5sum. The command "knoppix-installer" wouldn't work on the startup screen, so I went into the GUI and did it there. The installer came up, but I couldn't install knoppix to my computer because a window came up saying I didn't meet the system requirements. It said to make sure I had the right-sized partitions and all that.

I know that I have plenty of memory (768mb) and harddrive space (2 partitions with 40gb each and a 217mb swap). The window also gave me a command to bypass that menu, but it didn't do a thing. I have windows xp on the first partition and Knoppix 5.0.1 on the other. Can anyone help me on this? I'm crippled and can't install knoppix unless I fix this. Thanks.

onemyndseye
03-17-2007, 07:40 AM
"..... (2 partitions with 40gb each and a 217mb swap)....."

usually this error is given when there is not enough free space on the ( Knoppix 5.0.1 ) partition to do the install.... if you would like to install over this partition, I would use qtparted (or gparted) to delete that partition and recreate it.....

I've also got this error trying to install on something other than ReiserFS...try recreating the partition with ReiserFS :)

Good Luck and keep us updated - I'll do my best to help you through
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

Levi32
03-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Hmm.....interesting. Why would it not find enough free space? That partition has 32gb free. Also it is reiserFS already. Can I format the partition using Qtparted instead of deleting it? I'm afraid if I delete it I'll mess up my boot record and ruin the partition table as my computer is very touchy about these things :) Thanks so much for offering to help.

Levi32
03-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Well.....I tried it anyway. I deleted and then re-created the knoppix partition while I was in the 5.1.1 cd. The installer still won't work, and now linux is gone and all I have is windows which will only boot if I use a boot disk lol! Now I'm really in a pickle :)

Levi32
03-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Well now I did myself in. I had no use for windows and I have nothing important on my computer, so I decided to just delete my second partition (sda2) and start the whole deal over and just get linux on there. Well....the installer STILL won't work on the cd, so I can't install knoppix anywhere, and now both windows and linux are gone. Therefore my computer has no operating system lol. I'm only able to post here on another computer, not my own. Does anyone know why that stupid installer keeps saying the installation requirements haven't been fulfilled? I'm now stuck with an empty 35gb partition and a 34gb swap.

Harry Kuhman
03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
... Does anyone know why that stupid installer ....
It's my understanding that things, like an installer, can't be stupid, only people (like those who ignore warnings no to do something) can be stupid. I don't have a way to install Knoppix for you, but would you consider a simple net-install of Debian Etch, which should go very smoothly and should allow you to install anything or even everything in Knoppix?

Levi32
03-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I know of course a device can't be stupid it's a figure of speech lol. However in theory this should work....so it is very frustrating. I might consider your suggestion when I've exhausted all other options, but I'm not ready to give up knoppix yet. I just tried my old 5.0.1 cd but it still has a problem of freezing up about 30 seconds after you get to the desktop.

Harry Kuhman
03-17-2007, 08:00 PM
OK, it's certainly your choice. I had thought that maybe by now you might be receptive to the idea that Knoppix might not be suitable for installing, but apparently I was wrong. I am curious, do you think that once you do manage to get it installed, that will be the end of the problems with a Knoppix install? And what is it about installing Knoppix that seems more atractive than painlessly installing Debian, the OS it is built from, and then using apt-get to install all of the packages you want?

Levi32
03-17-2007, 08:10 PM
No no I haven't dismissed the fact that this copy might be corrupted or something. In fact the only reason I'm upgrading to 5.1.1 is because my 5.0.1 version that I had previously on my hard drive was corrupt and had numerous problems. I may have to consider your suggestion in the long run, but I don't give up easy :)

I'm fairly new to linux OS so could you suggest a site where I could download the Debian? I assume Debian.org has what you're talking about, but I have to make sure. Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
03-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Yea, it's all at debian.org. As long as you have a high speed connection that you can use to install I would suggest the net-install og Etch (testing, Sarge is just way too old). There's a lot of stuff on the debian website, so here's a link (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/) right to the ISO for etch. Pick the right iso for you from the top line of links, most likely the i386 iso but maybe one of the 64 bit versions depending on your target system's cpu. Even if you still want to fight with Knoppix, now that you have a nice empty computer would be a great time to try a Debian install and see how it goes (select the Desktop environment when you get to the choice of type of install). You can always install it, look it over and wipe everything out and go back to trying to get Knoppix working. I personally like installing an OS like Debian a few times just so I can play with the different install options, and an empty system makes that safe and simple.

Levi32
03-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Alright, I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the link. I guess you're right with an empty computer now is the time to experiment and try new things. Thanks! I'll let you all know if it works.

Levi32
03-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Well somehow I edited the partition table to get the installer to go for knoppix. So I have knoppix 5.1.1 on my hard drive. Now my problem is with getting my internet up. I had the same problem with 5.0.1, but managed to get it up with commands like ifup, ifconfig, and netcardconfig. However they don't seem to work this time, but anyway I'll post this in a seperate topic on the networking forum.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Harry Kuhman
03-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Now my problem is with getting my internet up.
A problem I've seem reported by so many people who tried to install Knoppix over the last 4 years that I've long ago lost count. This is a common problem.

Wirechief
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I guess Im lucky, I have a AMD64 T6420 Emachine with 2 gig ram and am using a 10gig IDE HD for testing Linux. I have tried Debian 3.01 and it is just too out of date, it would not mount my USB stick, I tried fixing it but managed to break it with a download and install of Hotplug ver 2 guess it didn't like that.
I downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1 CD-2007-01-04 and ran the "knoppix-installer" answered the questions
as best I could and it installed without complaints. I see my USB stick but cannot mount it perhaps that is because I used it with the LiveCD as a home for a persistant storage, will have to try using the LiveCD with it to see what happens. I would like to give that Debian Etch a shot, I would like to see how it compares with all the other flavors of Debian that I have tried.

Martin from Dublin
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi guys,

I tried to install Knoppix 5.1.1 to the hard drive of both my PC and laptop and in each case got the message that the installer had run out of space. The partition on the PC is 9 gigs while the laptop is 5, I really want to get it installed on my laptop becauseof the full working NDISwrapper and I want to use my laptop wireless (it works in live CD mode) but I want to abandon Windows.

How much space does 5.1.1. need? I've installed older versions of Knoppix in the past and never had this problem.

Martin

Wirechief
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Just use knoppix-installer on command line. 9 gigs should be enough, I had 10 but still had a lot of space left. I later got Sidux from www.sidux.com
check it out it is debian also debian sid, they maintain their own version but i have to tell ya it is the fastest distro that I have tried. I am not meaning to put Knoppix down, I love the LiveCD but there are an awfull lot of quirks with it installed to your HD, if you go with sidux on a try you can use their livecd or do their install. good luck no matter what you decide to do. Linux can be fun.

Martin from Dublin
04-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi Wirechief,

I checked the partition size, it's actually 6.5 and not 9, I was looking at the wrong paprtition. Do you know how much Knoppix needs? The partition on the laptop is 5.8, I could resize if I know how much is needed.

Martin

Wirechief
04-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Do you have Windows on that same drive ? or is that a single drive ? I have installed other Linux distros on about that size I guess its a matter of what gets put on it, I believe the download expands out to a little over 2 gig so from that i would think you would have enough room. I have it installed on a 10gig drive but I dont have it mounted and I am having so much fun with Sidux I doubt I will for a while, its one of those things when a distro catchs your eye and you really like it you dont wanna put it down for a while, Ive been using Sidux for about 4 days now, they use the latest stuff thats what has be so eager to use it.

hal8000
04-06-2007, 03:50 PM
My Knoppix 5.1.1 install went smoothly with a / parition of just 6G, and a /swap partition of 400M. After install I ran
df -h

and if I remember correctly only about 37% space was used. I have a multiboot system on my computer and no distro takes more than 4G.
I now use a separate /home partition for knoppix which frees up space on the / partition.

As for network problem, with 5.1.1 my ethernet card is known as eth1, most other distros, eth0. The ethernet enumertaion can be found looking through /var/log/messages or eaiser still

dmesg | grep eth

Hope that helps.

xanthon
04-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Installation is mentioned in the FAQs and I see several threads here mentioning problems with the installer. I've got the DVD. The downloaded iso had the correct md5sum as does the DVD.

The menu has about a million entries and I had hoped that "installer" was mentioned in there somewhere but I can't find it. There is a host of "Samsung" icons on the desktop but no installer. I checked out the boot options before booting and there is nothing in there about installing.

How do I run the installer? :oops: