PDA

View Full Version : PXE Knoppix over CIFS mania!

gdijim
03-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I have followed the configs from these pages:

http://knoppix.manty.net/

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/KNOPPIX_Terminal_Server

I have downloaded the custom Initrd that Manty has made for 5.1 and my configuration seems to follow the config on the second link to a T, except one place where there seems to be an error. (see below)

PXE is tested and working 100 percent with no issues - clients can boot from the network

My pxe client system is a P3 with 128 MB ram, generic Via system board, 3Com 3c905C network card. Everything seems okay, and it runs windows 2k and knoppix 5.1 fine.

After the client boots, it hits the PXE server fine, and then begins to load the linux kernel - The kernel seems to be required in a different place than the walk through says - for some reason, it must reside in the /tftpboot/hybrid/pxeboot directory, and NOT in the /tftpboot/hybrid/pxeboot/knoppix directory that the guide tells me.

When I boot without the 'linux' file there, it gives me an error that the kernel file doesn't exist. When I move the 'linux' file to /tftpboot/hybrid/pxeboot, it begins to boot the kernel okay, but after it does some hardware detection I get a couple errors:

Errors as follows:

kernel panic synching VFS - cannot mount root file system on unknown block (1,3)

(And then this error loops forever and locks the machine)

atkbd.c spurious ack on isa0060/seria0 - some program may be trying to access hardware directly.

Can anyone help? I've been fighting with this off and on for like 8 weeks, and it's the LAST piece I need for a big project I've been working on. I've been trying to track down some contact info for Manty to see if he could lend some advice, but so far have found nothing. His page has been updated in the last couple weeks or so though, so this isn't a dead project.

Alternatively, if someone could point out some PXE booting of DSL or Knoppix over CIFS info (It MUST be CIFS), that would be REALLY awsome.

Thanks in advance,
Jim