PDA

View Full Version : I can boot to console but not to desktop

convergys2
03-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Here is my problem.

I can boot the DVD into console mode but when ever I try and boot using a desktop, it freezes. If I choose the KDE desktop, nothing happens just the mountains. If I use the GNOME desktop, it will load, then it will freezes. I will see video artifact.

Here is my hardware configuration

DVD ver 5.1.1

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Motherboard:
nForce 4 SLI Mainboard
PN 133-K8-NF41-AX

RAM:
DDR PC 3200 2.5GB Total

CD-ROM Drive:
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

Sound Card:
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio

Video Card:
e-GeForce 7800 GT, 256 MB DDR3

Monitor:
Samsung Syncmaster 225BW connected by DVI

Mouse:
Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse

Keyboard:
Logitech generic keyboard

Hope that's enough info.

Thanks in advance
Convergys2

hal8000
03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
As you can boot into the console, there are two files that will provide clues
cd into /var/log

then look at
Xorg.0.log and also messages.

Chances are its either a resolution, or colour depth or combination of the two that are causing the problem.
You could try appending screen=1024x768 at the knoppix grub screen before booting, (press escape then e to edit the line, append the text and press b to boot)

More "cheat codes" can be found on the wiki

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

convergys2
03-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Ok, so I tried that and still the same thing. I think it has something to do with the AGP and SLI. I paid close attention to the boot screen and noticed that at the very end just as it starts the xserver there is an error message. "Problem loading the AGP module" I did some further reading and NV has a new "driver" for Limn. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_1.0-9755.html

I also stumbled across http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_A6T if you read the GPU section, it has some stuff on it

I cannot look at any log files because if I start in init 2 there is no error and if I start in init 5 well it freezes and I have no choice but to reboot.

just as another note, a while back I tried to install SUN SOl 9 and ran into the same sort of problems.

My question is, If I am using the live DVD, how can I incorporate this "driver" into the ram drive so I can startx? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
What does the modules-disk do?

Just so you know, here is what I have done so far. This is all at the boot prompt

knoppix vga=o
knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapci noapm ( this will actually halt the boot so I cannot even get to the console)
knoppix screen=1024x768
testcd (tests fine)
knoppix pci=biosirq
knoppix xserver=xFree86
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
knoppix xmodule=nv
knoppix vga=0 debug -b failsafe debug -b 3

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but I have no doubt that someone out there has the answers for me.

convergys2
03-20-2007, 06:33 AM
I have fixed the problem.

I used the following cheat codes
knoppix xmodule=vesa xvrefresh=60

Thanks to everyone (hal8000) who helped me out on this issue.

hal8000
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I have fixed the problem.

I used the following cheat codes
knoppix xmodule=vesa xvrefresh=60

Thanks to everyone (hal8000) who helped me out on this issue.

You're welcome. There are some really clever guys on this forum (not me), but you have to remember that knoppix is designed as a live boot disk. Having said that many choose a permanent HD install. Once installed you have a basic Debian system and many tips can also be learned from thr Debian forums. Hope that helps.