PDA

View Full Version : Package selection option for hd install

redsea2002
01-03-2003, 10:27 PM
I am a Linux newbie and was really pleased with the flawless installation of Knoppix both with the cd and hd installation. I had trouble with my Geforce 4 card with Redhat and Mandrake, and never managed to properly install Debian Woody.
I would like to suggest adding an option to select packages for hd install instead of installing the entire software package.
Fantastic distro.

Tigren
01-04-2003, 02:33 AM
the only problem I can see with this is that the HD install script was written by a normal knoppix user, Chris. I am not sure how much time he has on his hands, or how hard this would be to do, but unless someone else takes up the task of doing it, im not sure it will happen any time soon.

eadz
01-04-2003, 02:45 AM
The other problem is that unlike every other distro, Knoppix doesn't install packages. It copies files. it is a very simple way of doing it, and package selection doesn't come into it. To add package selection would mean a completely different way of doing it.

It would be possable, say using dpkg-repack to create packages, but this would take a very long time indeed!

abra
01-05-2003, 01:38 PM
One way to do this would be to first use the copy-file-way, then an apt frontend could delete all packages except selected, and take care of dependencies.
( if such a frontend exists please give me a tell)

maybe