PDA

View Full Version : 2nd ide slave mounts but cannot write

acalafra
03-19-2007, 03:02 AM
i put in a second ide drive as a slave. i can see all the data but connot delete or move anything to it. i checked the properties and everything says read+write, and the read only box is not checked. what other reasons are there for not being able to delete or add new files.

Harry Kuhman
03-19-2007, 03:12 AM
If it's an NTF partition you might not be able to write to it, and as NTFS writing is still very experimental, you should have a verg good backup of the entire partition if you try.

acalafra
03-19-2007, 03:15 AM
is there a way to tell if its NTFS... it is a logical partition from windows 2000 machine. im using older knoppix so i dont think it tried to write. i dont want to lose the data should i just unmount and take it out?

Harry Kuhman
03-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Virtually any of the partition tools, such as fdisk under windows should tell you the partition type. You should even be able, in windows to check the "drive" properties in My Computer and see the type. If it any FAT type you should be able to write to it safely in Linux, if NTFS I would not risk it. I'm not sure if 2000 had NTFS support or not, I think it did but I never owned it and am not certain.

acalafra
03-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok so i mounted the NTFS hard drive and tried to move stuff to it and delete files and it didnt work, but i think i corrupted it because it didnt boot when i put it back it its original home, now i dont care about fixing the MBR or boot.ini so it will boot,I just need my music and movies so can i simply re-mount it in my knoppix box and burn DVDs off of NTFS, or is that going to cause even more problems. I just wanted to add that you guys are great.

amvakar
04-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok so i mounted the NTFS hard drive and tried to move stuff to it and delete files and it didnt work, but i think i corrupted it because it didnt boot when i put it back it its original home, now i dont care about fixing the MBR or boot.ini so it will boot,I just need my music and movies so can i simply re-mount it in my knoppix box and burn DVDs off of NTFS, or is that going to cause even more problems. I just wanted to add that you guys are great.
If it's corrupted, reading from it shouldn't make things any worse. Of course, your music and movies might be corrupted themselves if the other files on the disk are broken.