PDA

View Full Version : Boot from USB - Save changes

joerv007
03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone.

Let me just say that I am very new to Linux so please forgive my ignorance.

I have installed Knoppix (5.1 i think) to a 1GB USB flash drive using instructions I found on the wesbite http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510

I can boot up no problem however, I would like to set it up to my liking and save the changes so that when I restart, it is exactly how I left it. Even if I use a different computer. I believe that if I click on Knoppix > Configuration > Save Configuration I am supposed to be able to save those changes to the USB drive. However, when I do this, it tells me that the drive (/dev/sda1 i think) is in use and I cannot do that.

Is there a better way of achieving what I am trying to do? Basically, I want to use Linux from the USB drive on my laptop at work and my desktop at home and for any changes or documents to be saved and restored when I boot up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

jae4my
03-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi everyone.

Let me just say that I am very new to Linux so please forgive my ignorance.

I have installed Knoppix (5.1 i think) to a 1GB USB flash drive using instructions I found on the wesbite http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510

I can boot up no problem however, I would like to set it up to my liking and save the changes so that when I restart, it is exactly how I left it.

What you need to do is create a "Persistent Disk Image", this is one of the options under the main menu option "Knoppix". Once a persistent disk image is created, any changes you make will be saved there and the next time you reboot, Knoppix will ask you if you want to load this image. This image will be named "Knoppix.img".

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

joerv007
03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Thank for that. I tried that but I got the following message:

The KNOPPIX configuration could not be saved:
mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /media/sda1 busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /cdrom

Any suggestions?

I think i will have to try and partition the flash drive and save the configuration to the other partition - or is there a better way?

Cheers

Joe

jae4my
03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Thank for that. I tried that but I got the following message:

The KNOPPIX configuration could not be saved:
mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /media/sda1 busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /cdrom

I had a similar problem with my usb thumbdrive before. Maybe you can try this.

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /cdrom -o remount,rw

This will remount /cdrom in read/write mode.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

joerv007
03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for that.

I tried it and it now allows me to create the image. I did that and restarted. When I restart, i have to agree to the image being used which is fine.

However, I noticed that it is still going back to the original state. The only thing i am changing at the moment is the desktop picture. Each time i reboot, it is going back to being the original mountains.

Am i doing anything wrong or am I asking too much of Knoppix?

Cheers,

Joe

jae4my
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that.

I tried it and it now allows me to create the image. I did that and restarted. When I restart, i have to agree to the image being used which is fine.

During booting, when you are asked if you want to use the Knoppix image, that message box actually has 4 options, but the 3rd option is not selected i.e. it does not have an asterisk. You have to highlight that option and press the spacebar to have it selected. Then make sure you exit that message box by selecting "OK". The 3rd option tells Knoppix to load the system settings that you have made, like wallpapers, drivers, etc.

Cheers!