PDA

View Full Version : Request/Suggestion : HD Install Script : More Flexibility

beforewisdom
05-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi;

Please consider changing the HD Install Script to allow people to choose not to install some software.

I know there is a plethora of Knoppix remasters out there to this end.

However, I have tried some of them and I have found them lacking in comparison to Knoppix and I think other people would as well.

The Knoppix remasters I have tried have not supported hardware as well as Knoppix, have not done some nice configurations that Knoppix has, and have cut too close to the bone in their quest to minimize ( leaving some man pages out ).

In other words, there are a lot of reasons for people to still prefer Knoppix eventhough there may be a remaster more closely matching their tastes in software.

I am not suggesting that the HD Install Script be modified into something as complex as a full fledged package chooser ala the commercial distros.

That would be over kill.

Options to NOT install LARGE pieces of software that could not possibly HURT anyone by their absence ( system could not be installed, configured without them.) would be sufficent.

A screen giving the user such options, explaining that "____ software listed here is no essential for system installation/configuration/use" and allowing them to not install would be awesome.

I think this would fit with the philosophy behind the live CD.

People use the live CD to see if the system on it is to their liking. This idea just takes that one step further.

The user can use the live cd to see if they really like such a piece of software and then decide whether or not to have it installed.

Just a thought. I think Knoppix is a kick ass innovation.

Steve

Fabianx
05-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Hi;

Please consider changing the HD Install Script to allow people to choose not to install some software.

I know there is a plethora of Knoppix remasters out there to this end.

However, I have tried some of them and I have found them lacking in comparison to Knoppix and I think other people would as well.

The Knoppix remasters I have tried have not supported hardware as well as Knoppix, have not done some nice configurations that Knoppix has, and have cut too close to the bone in their quest to minimize ( leaving some man pages out ).

In other words, there are a lot of reasons for people to still prefer Knoppix eventhough there may be a remaster more closely matching their tastes in software.

I am not suggesting that the HD Install Script be modified into something as complex as a full fledged package chooser ala the commercial distros.

That would be over kill.

Options to NOT install LARGE pieces of software that could not possibly HURT anyone by their absence ( system could not be installed, configured without them.) would be sufficent.

A screen giving the user such options, explaining that "____ software listed here is no essential for system installation/configuration/use" and allowing them to not install would be awesome.

I think this would fit with the philosophy behind the live CD.

People use the live CD to see if the system on it is to their liking. This idea just takes that one step further.

The user can use the live cd to see if they really like such a piece of software and then decide whether or not to have it installed.

Just a thought. I think Knoppix is a kick ass innovation.

Steve

As it is jsut copying over this is not so easily possible. However after installation you can still just remove kdebase or similar BIG packages.

So there should be no problem.

cu

Fabian

beforewisdom
05-26-2003, 02:51 AM
I understand that it would be difficult.

I made the suggestion as an idea for people to keep in their heads for the future.

People who are not experts on the guts of gnu/linux don't alwakys know what software is there, let alone what can be removed.

Steve

Tortoise
05-30-2003, 05:36 AM
I understand that it would be difficult.

I made the suggestion as an idea for people to keep in their heads for the future.

People who are not experts on the guts of gnu/linux don't alwakys know what software is there, let alone what can be removed.

Steve

I'll go with that, I mean the names of the software packages are so archane, you actually have to have used them, and remember the esoteric nameing structure (of course ORNATE is a graphics suite, it's obvious - Ornate is Really Not A Text Editor). There are plenty of distros that let you specify everything, Knoppix is great because the default installation is (more or less) useable without masses of playing around.
As soon as there is a LINUX distro that is actually useable by newbies out of the box, the days of windows will be over. We're almost there.

beforewisdom
05-30-2003, 06:08 AM
I'll go with that, I mean the names of the software packages are so archane, you actually have to have used them, and remember the esoteric nameing structure (of course ORNATE is a graphics suite, it's obvious - Ornate is Really Not A Text Editor). There are plenty of distros that let you specify everything, Knoppix is great because the default installation is (more or less) useable without masses of playing around.
As soon as there is a LINUX distro that is actually useable by newbies out of the box, the days of windows will be over. We're almost there.

Suse is there. Knoppix is almost there. Once knoppix is there and word gets out I think you will see windows facing competition from linux on the desktop.

Steve

Tortoise
05-30-2003, 06:15 AM
Yes, pretty much, it's really exciting to Knoppix, I was over the moon when I saw the CD version. If it was possible to have a hd version which set up exactly like that, it would be something I could recomment to my grandmother to use.

Henk Poley
05-30-2003, 06:38 AM
The problem is that you are running a package managed environment, with unpacked packages. So you could pretty much only install everything, and put up a script that rips out any non wanted stuff on first boot.