PDA

View Full Version : Feature only available with HAL

abcc
04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
i m a linux newbie. i have installed knoppix 5.1.1 on a logical partition on harddisk (/dev/hda7) from knoppix dvd using combo drive (SONY CD-RW CRX320EE (dvd rom + cd writer)).
when a cd is inserted in the drive it should get mounted automatically. but in my case it doesn't. rather when i double click on the icon it gives popup stating "Feature only available with HAL".

also there's only one drive in my pc but it shows 4 icons on the desktop. (cdrom, cdrom1, cdrecorder, dvd) and a icon like harddisk with name "Hard Disk [dvd]". which one to keep.

there is problem mounting harddisk also. but hope the solution to above problem solves the second one also.

when i double click any harddisk icon it shows the message stating

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

any help please.....

hal8000
04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry but this is not the right distribution to use for a beginner. You need to have worked with linux for at least 6 months and have experience with bash.

You have not stated which option you used to install Knoppix (you need to choose Debian or Beginner option). The options to mount drives are all controlled from /etc/fstab (including your cdrom option). As a minmum you need to post:

dmesg | grep hd

cat /etc/fstab

You should also note that fstab will always be modified by knoppix unless you use the nofstab and the tip by Johnny H.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26759&highlight=

Dont give up though Ubuntu,Suse and Mandriva are pretty easy to use, and theres no reason why you cant dual boot both
once you gain experience