PDA

View Full Version : Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot

destro
04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I was hoping I could find some help here. I am new to Knoppix and tried to create a dual boot with XP Pro. I have 2 hard drives. An 80Gb SATA with XP on it and a separate 20Gb IDE hard drive with Knoppix on it. I installed Knoppix to the root partition on the 20Gb, not the MBR. When I boot up I have to have a floppy in that has a copy of the MBR in order for it to boot. I am not sure how to get a boot loader option that works. I ended up adding a "Knopppix" option but when I choose it without the floppy in, I get an endless loop of "GRUB' on the screen. Like I said I am a Linux newbie, so any help would be great.......... :?

Harry Kuhman
04-01-2007, 07:30 PM
OK, here's the help you asked for: Knoppix isa great live CD but a very poor choice for installing to hard disk, particularly for a new Linux user, Don't do it. Install something like Debian Etch instead.

In fact, if you have not messed up your windows partitions (and I can't say for sure that you have or have not), and you remove the Knoppix partitions and install Debian Etch in it's place, the Debian installer should see that you have Windows on the disk too and create a dual boot configuration for you automatically.

destro
04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I have not messed up the windows partition because it is on a completely different hard drive. If I install Debian Etch instead, it should see windows even on a separate drive and give me a boot loader option?
Thanks for the quick reply Harry Kuhman...

Harry Kuhman
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Yup, it should check all of your drives and offer to set up Grub to boot all of the OSs that it finds. This is all just theory, of course, but that's what it's done for me.

destro
04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Alright, I will try Debian Etch. Thanks for your help :wink: