PDA

View Full Version : Trouble booting

britonk
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I would appreciate some help. I am really new to using Linux but I want to get more into it and am getting increasingly tired of Microsoft.

I have downloaded Knoppix. The ISO image is called "KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso". For some reason I am having trouble booting from the CD. Linux seems to start but then when it comes to load X windows it just displays a load of multi-coloured blocks on screen.

I have had the same trouble trying to run "Ubuntu" and suspect it is something to do with my graphics card or the graphics mode?

My brief hardware config:

ASUS M2V MB
AMD Athlon 64 dual core 4200+
2GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB)
300GB SATA HDD

Is there anything I can try? Does anyone know why it isn't working? As I have said I am really new to linux so if I need to change any config settings please explain how I do this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Harry Kuhman
04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
If you're getting as far as loading the GUI them you likely made the CD properly; I'll assume that you checked the md5 sum and burnt the cd slowly.

Does sound like a hardware support issue for that video card. Look at the cheat codes file that you downloaded and try to find something that helps. xmodule=vesa is where I would start. but you may find others that help too.