PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing yahoo messenger.

Steamboat
04-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Hi....... I'm new to the forum and linux but have had a little experience with centos whilst still running windows. I've now made the leap and have ditched windows completely and have chosen Knoppix 5.1.1 to replace it. It is very stable and no problems at all running it on a Sony Vaio. Gradually I am customising it to my requirements. One problem I can't figure is why I can't get it to install the yahoo messenger client using the dpkg command. Am I missing something glaringly obvious or should I be using a different way of installing it?

Apologies if it's been covered before but I've searched the forum and can't find a similar thread.

Thanks......

Tim.

Harry Kuhman
04-03-2007, 05:05 AM
... I'm new to the forum and linux but ... I've now made the leap and have ditched windows completely and have chosen Knoppix 5.1.1 to replace it. ...
Not the best choice, IMHO. Knoppix is a great Live CD, but is not the best distro to replace Windows as a hard disk system, particularly for someone new to Linux. I would suggest that you consider Debian Etch or some other distro intended for hard disk install.