PDA

View Full Version : SU Returned with ERROR in Root Shell

Student
04-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 and I installed it on my PC harddisk using the root shell by calling (knoppix-installer) command

Here comes my problem in steps:

I went to Shell Root > Typed SU (without any other thing)
Result: > "SU Returned with ERROR"

Now I can't open the Shell Root at all to do my work and whenever I try to open it I get the same error "SU Returned with ERROR" even after restarting. I also can't run applications under Knoppix category in the KMenu.

The question is: How can I recover so I can use the Root Shell?
Or
If I opt to re-install Knoppix can you guide me to a way that allow me to re-install it?

Harry Kuhman
04-03-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 and I installed it on my PC harddisk .....
Please see answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

Student
04-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi Harry Kuhman,

I do respect your opinion and appreciate your advise BUT I have to install Knoppix because it is a task I have to complete for my project.

So Please if you have any idea regarding the issue or any other links I can refer to solve my problem I would be greatly thankful.

Regards

kirol
04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
As a possible work-around, try opening a regular shell, then type "sudo su -".

Student
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Kirol,

Thanks for your support but I'm not in the list of the sudoers, this message was give to me when I tried to apply your command.

Regards

JohnnyH
04-07-2007, 07:44 AM
... I also can't run applications under Knoppix category in the KMenu....
Does this imply that you can run *some* other applications from the KMenu, i.e. that you do have the KDE desktop ?
If so, then this thread may help: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26577&highlight=
(otherwise you may have a more fundamental problem with your installation, in which case we would need a more detailed description of the steps that you achieved in your installation process).