PDA

View Full Version : Why knoppix doesn't load my imagefile automatically?

nitric
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
First of all the image-script refers to the wrong cheat-code for loading images:
However its not: home=/dev/[whatever]
Or in my case: home=/dev/sda1

It's: home=/media/sda1

I've spent hours with testing and wondering... I don't know if there's someone here in charge, but when there's someone: Fix it! I was nearly at the point of throwing the towel! - I have a slight clue about linux but what does somebody without? - And it's absolutely unusual to use pathnames of the mounted devices. - I think the maintainer of the script thought the same way as I... :wink:

But well, it's not over yet:
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/7708/knoppixoverwritevz9.jpg

Why do I have to check overwrite? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Just for the protocol:
KNOPPIX has found an image file ([...]). This image
contains the components listet below, which can be activated
seperately.
If you do nothing, the image will be activated in 10 secons.

[x] home Mount persistent Knoppix-Homedirectory
[x] system Add as persistent, writable system area
[ ] overwrite Overwrite/update stored system configuration
[x] init Start INIT-botscripts (network, printer etc.)

nnigam
04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I check and uncheck by pressing the space bar. But why would you want to overwirte your configuration. If you do not want to save your configuration, just dont use the persistent disk image. I save all my ohter data in a fat32 partition, and the disk image is only for holding configuration items. If I made an error, I just delete the image file and re-create it. If I want to test something, I make a copy of the file, then if it goes wrong, I just copy back from my backup.

Neeraj

nitric
04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Hopefully I've understood you right...

If I do not check overwrite my system configuration is also not updated: Read the Configuration-Box: overwrite Overwrite/update stored system configuration
This means that no personal adjustments will be applied. No Programs installed, no apt-sources updated, KDE-Desktop shows Spitsbergen as background -> default Knoppix... - Maybe it's an bug that it works that way but I would also prefer that configuration-changes are applied automatically too like in a normal OS. I prefer using backups when I screw thing up instead of rebooting all the time to strip off the safeguard. :roll:

Im not using the configuration-files: I thought this was integrated in the image (it seems that it is so, when you check overwrite :D).

nnigam
04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
All my configuration changes are automatically saved. I think checking that box would delete whatever you have and save a brand new configuration. That means your printers, application history, network drive mappings, desktop configuration changes would be reset and your old configuration lost.

I really have not played around with it that much. I just accept the defaults and let it go. All changes that I make are saved without that checkbox.

I would like it to load automatically instead of my having to click yes everytime. I would also like it to use my iso file to bootfrom as well as a deault or a short startup option so that I do not have to wait for the prompts to come up and then answer. I would like to boot up, go get my coffee and when I come back, everything is up and ready.

Neeraj

corester
04-06-2007, 12:21 AM
mine for come reason doesn't wait 10 seconds :?:

nitric
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
mine for come reason doesn't wait 10 seconds :?:

Thats right, if Knoppix finds the image automatically the configuration-utility waits 20 seconds. If you instruct the Knoppix kernel via cheat-code (boot-option) that he needs to load a image it waits only 10 seconds...

This is a good sign that you can manipulate this with cheat-codes. :? :shock: :idea:

However, thanks for the hint!! Awesome! I don't thought of it this way! -
Good-Questions are a wonderful thing! :lol: :)