PDA

View Full Version : permissions accesssing new external hard drive

pdc
04-07-2007, 04:00 AM
We have just purchased an IDE ext drive, with a USB2 connection; using a live Knoppix CD, we have formatted the drive into two partitions, which are ext3 formatted; we have Knoppix installed with KDE as the desktop; the system will not let us copy files into the new hard drive, from Home;

when I run "ls -l /media/sda2" I get "drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Apr 8 2007 lost+found"

I guess I need to change this to "drwx------ 2 username username 16384 Apr 8 2007 lost+found"

would this be correct? sorry to betray ignorance, but I obviously ran "ls -l " in a terminal; how do I cement the changes, if you agree to what I suggest above?

PS I must also confess to earlier editing /etc/fstab on the /mediasda2 line from:

"dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0" to

"dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=username,gid=users 0 0"

again, comments welcome: was this good, bad or indifferent to edit /etc/fstab as I did:

and for username, I would enter our specific username when editing the file

hal8000
04-11-2007, 05:54 PM
If you have installed knoppix onto your hard drive then it is ok to modify the filesystem table.
Change the line in /etc/fstab as follows:

dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

With ext3 it is not necessary to use uid and gid options, the file system will still be writeable.
HTH

pdc
04-12-2007, 08:28 AM
thanks;

I had edited out my additions, so that /etc/fstab now reads as you suggest:

still I cannot write to it; I rightclicked on its icon now; I am identified as username as owner now; (it was root!) and I changed the permissions to read and write; when I hover the mouse over the icon after this, is shows -rwxrwxrwx (which is strange? as it is not a file, but a directory??) and from the listings that appear if one hovers, the mouse is says at the bottom: writable; no (as do all the other hda and hdb listed on my desktop)

when I try to drag and drop a file into the drive, having opened it in Konqueror, it says you cannot drop any items in a directory; you do not have write permission

nicinustiucemailsamifac
05-06-2007, 06:36 PM
hi there. i'm running knoppix from my flash. It's great but i have the same problem. When i try to write something in /dev/sda i don't have permissions. For example i want to download some mp3s and save them and when i drag & drop the files in /dev/sda i got this message: You cannot drop any items in a directory in which you don't have permissions. I tried to umount/mount /dev/sda 1 but i can't cause it's busy. I think that's why i'm running knoppix from my flash and i don't have any HDD on my pc. I have just my little Flash (4GB).

If someone could help me it would be really appreciatted.

Thanks!