PDA

View Full Version : LiveCD Still Not Booting

Johan
04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I just downloaded the Knoppix 5.1.1 LiveCD version iso file and burned it to a CD. I made 3 CDs, just in case the burn was bad. One at 12x speed, one at 16x speed, and one at 40x speed. I tried each of them on my PC (1 GB PC3200 RAM, 3 Ghz P4, GeForce 6200 PCI). The problem is that Knoppix (or any other distro, including "DSL") will not work. It gets stuck at the line where it is loading the hot-plug hardware detection, and I can leave it for hours (and have) and it will not change. Under the Help section, I have tried disabling all hardware detection and using the "bad bios" configuration, all to no avail. I have also tried it on both of my PC's drives (A CD/DVD burner and a CD/DVD reader) and have tried loading it to RAM and running it that way.

All of the discs work on both my laptops (an old IBM with 364MB RAM and a 1 Ghz P3 and a Dell with 1 GB RAM and a 1.7 Ghz Dual Core Intel) and on a PC that is IDENTICAL to this one, except for the graphics card (that one has an integrated one, while mine has a BFG GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI, to be specific).

So, I have several questions:
1) Is the graphics card causing the problems?
2) Are there any known problems with Knoppix and my graphics card?
3) Are there any other cheatcodes I should try?
4) Will removing my graphics card (temporarily) and switching it with a Radeon 9250 work?
5) Is there an older version of Knoppix I should try, in case it works? If so, what and does it include Beryl?
6) Is it another problem and, if so, how can I solve it?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I tried again. This time, it gave me an error before freezing. This is what it said:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal Exception in interrupt

Then it froze, and I had to use the power button on my PC to restart it and remove the CD.

OErjan
04-08-2007, 05:38 PM
ok, i have had a few computer act like thig, one had cable select set on one disk and master on other, on same cable.
other was a computer where master was on middle connectr and and slave on end, worked in windows but linux refused to work.

other than that i can only hope you confirmed the MD5sum of the image before burning, if not do so and burn only if it is OK.

as to that graphics card, it should work 100% in linux, there are even drivers to download on the Nvidia website. but the default nv one should work (no 3D and such though).

Johan
04-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Well, with the discs, I only have one harddrive in it, so that would not be the problem. But, since an identical computer worked with it, I don't think that would cause it.

I will confirm the MD5sum of the image to see if there are any problems there. Other than that, the only two differences as far as I can tell are the graphics and the bios (I changed around some stuff), so I'll set the bios to default options and see if the integrated graphics will make a difference.

Edit: Ok, I set the bios to all defaults, and it still did not work. This time, it gave me another message after the initial Kernel Panic. It also did another "Kernel Panic", but this time it said "Attempting to kill idle task", then it froze.