PDA

View Full Version : Samba Nuttiness

schnarff
05-26-2003, 12:24 AM
I've been trying to get Samba set up on my HDD-install for a while now, and to be honest, it's pissing me off -- mainly because it doesn't work as advertised in the FAQ or other posts in the forum.

Here's the setup:

Knoppix box & WinXP box on the same network (192.168.2.10, 75)
/etc/samba/smb.conf:
security = share
[myshare]
Comment = My Share
path = /home/knoppix (I know, accessible thru Homes, bear with me)
writeable = yes

smbpasswd:
contains entries for both "knoppix" and "draco" (name of the XP box)

When I try to access this from my WinXP box, I can see everything, but get permission denied errors every time I try to write anything.

Strangely enough, when I change the above path to /tmp, it works like a charm.

This seems like an issue with filesystem permissions on the /home/knoppix directory...but I have to admit I don't want to make my home directory world writeable and then share it via Samba. How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Alex Kirk

mmaki
05-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Alex,

I'm not a Samba wiz but I do use it quite a bit in the Security=Domain mode, so I'm not up on Security=Share.

I took a quick look at the Samba FAQ here and it looks like it is creating a public share, thus your ability to write to /tmp.

Using Security=Share I believe you must try to access the share using the username/password that has has write access to the directory (knoppix user name with the knoppix user passowrd on the knoppix box).

So try this: Create an account on your XP box with the same user name and password (knoppix) as you would use to write to the /home/knoppix directory, or map the drive using the knoppix user and password.

I believe samba is going to look at the /etc/passwd file to make sure the user trying to use the share has the appropriate rights and is a valid user.

Check this to: http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#SECURITY
and look at the section on Security=Share. You might want to try changing the security to Security=User.

Rememebr to restart samba after changes to smb.conf (/etc/init.d/samba restart)

Hopefully someone with more Samba knowledge can give you better instructions.

Mike