PDA

View Full Version : QTparted

gmtyrant
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi, I was hoping to use QTparted, via Knoppix, to do some partition rearranging, but when I try to access my 160gb, the program closes itself. It has no such problem when accessing my smaller, 20gb drive. I know you all are Linux evangelists, so let me add that the new partition is going to be for my final transition to Linux. :)
Thanks for your time.

kirol
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
It seems qtparted hasn't been updated in a good while, and recent knoppix bundle gparted as well; could you try it and report back?

gmtyrant
04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Ooh, cool! Will do.
I was hoping to get out of downloading another *.iso today. ;)

gmtyrant
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Alright, tried the latest Knoppix, still crashing. Tried an alternate linux partition manager, the name of which I don't remember, which also encountered errors. (very inspecific ones)

Finally just decided to install it (Kubuntu) to my secondary hard drive. The partition manager in the installer, which is apparently based on QTparted as well, also refused to do what it was designed to do.

This topic is probably no longer directly related to Knoppix, so I think I'll call it a day and stick with Windows XP for a few more months. Maybe the new Ubuntu version will do better.

Thanks for the suggestion!

kirol
04-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi gmtyrant,

this is weird. Are you seeing any error message when launching the partitioning tool? Perhaps you could post your partition tables to see if it explains your problem.

# sfdisk -l /dev/hda > /tmp/sfdisk.out
# sfdisk -l /dev/hdc >> /tmp/sfdisk.out
This assumes two master IDE drives; you may need to adjust the device names. You can try the trusty cfdisk tool. Of course be careful on any disk where you want to preserve content (eg existing windows partition(s)). These are low-level commands that need to run as root, so type them from a text console (eg <Alt><F1> or prefix them with sudo). Also out of curiosity, give a look at the disk manager while under windows, and see if the partitions are displayed correctly there...