PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the hdd installer to work

IM2Slick
04-18-2007, 06:20 AM
I followed these instructions for the 5.1.1 CD ....

Open root terminal - hit enter when asked for password
This worked fine
Run knoppix-installer
This too went fine
Choose option 1 then option 3 to partition before installing
Option 1 worked OK, but there was NO option 3, nor was there an option to pass up the partitioner, (I already have my partitions on HDb) There were only two choices, 1. run gparted; 2. quit !
I ran gparted, and when I saved the current configuration on HDb, it exited gparted and went back to the two choices mentioned previously : 1. run gparted; 2. quit . I tried this 5 different times, closing out the terminal window each time, and no go! I'm wondering if Knoppix has to be on the first drive or not.
Choose Primary partition for Grub
I was not able to get this far, but I would put Grub on the MBR and chainload the WNDOZ drive (HDa)
Choose boot partition of second or subsequent multiple OS install
I'm not sure what is meant here, a little help would be appreciated ;)

So, now you know what has happened, does anyone have any explanation as to why there is no option 3, and why there is no way to bypass the partitioner.

Better yet, is there a tutorial that will show me how to install Knoppix to the HDD using the CLI?

NOTE: edited for spelling error!

hal8000
04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Do you have a Solaris or FreeBSD as your primary partition? I dont like gparted and know it doesnt recognise this file systems.
If you have already created free partitions you should be able to skip the gparted stage altogether.

IM2Slick
04-22-2007, 05:27 AM
I don't have Solaris or BSD on any partitions at this time .... I also don't like gparted ..... :evil: :evil: ........
I have WNDOZ on the "A" drive (see first post), and I have the "B" drive partitioned into ext3 partitions, in anticipation of putting on a Linux distro. I have an old Beatrix 1005 on hdb1, but since it is not upgradable, I want a fulltime Linux distro on one of the other partitions. I am having to download and burn on the WNDOZ partition until I can get a Linux installed (Beatrix doesn't have cdrecord, etc. on it and there aren't any repositories for it). Thanks for your reply. :D :D

"I dont like gparted and know it doesnt recognise this file systems.
If you have already created free partitions you should be able to skip the gparted stage altogether.
Does this mean that Knoppix doesn't use the ext3 file system? If not, which one does it use?