PDA

View Full Version : "starting udev hot-plug hardware detection" - prob

onemustfall
04-18-2007, 07:39 PM
hello,

i cant boot knoppix dvd v2.86 . it gets as far as starting udev hot-plug hardware detection then hangs.

ive tried the following:

vga=0
acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm
vga=0 debug -b 3
debug -b 3
noudev
nodma
noagp
xmodule=vesa

these have no effect.

im running a dell dimension 2300 with a pentium 4 2.6ghz 1g ram. with a geforce fx 5200

any ideas?

onemustfall
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
*UPDATE*

OK, I tried running the scan to see if there were any errors on the DVD. It came back with the message "everything looks ok" then it tried to continue booting. Then it gave me the following errors:

'/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit
'/sbin/modprobe' failed X 4
'/bin/sh' failed X 8
'lib/udev/usb_id' failed
'lib/udev/path_id' failed

then it hung again.

Please! Someone help me remove the bain of Microsoft from my life...

onemustfall
04-21-2007, 01:49 AM
*UPDATE*

tried this list:

noapic
noagp
noapm
nodma
nomce
nofirewire
nopcmcia
noscsi
noswap
nousb
nosmp
noaudio

and all at the same time.

HELP!!!

onemustfall
04-21-2007, 02:31 AM
*UPDATE*

Ive also tried disabling my graphics card and switching back to the origional this didnt work either...

onemustfall
04-21-2007, 06:24 PM
*UPDATE*

i've tried it on a Tiny AMD Athlon 1.3mHz and it works fine.

Could this be a mouse problem?

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

onemustfall
04-22-2007, 06:12 PM
*UPDATE*

Its not the mouse.

onemustfall
04-25-2007, 06:16 PM
i think ill just stick with windows...

ckamin
04-27-2007, 05:46 AM
"knoppix dvd v2.86"? Might be why nobody responded?

onemustfall
04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
i was under the impression that, that was the lastest version. i downloaded via the torrent that is linked from this website.

ckamin
04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
If you downloaded the most recent, then it should be version 5.1.1. Version 5.2 should be out sometime in the near future. You can also try an older version to see if it handles your hardware better. Trying the CD version first would eliminate a long download, just to find out it didn't work.

You could try the "failsafe" cheat code. Be sure to type "knoppix" first and then the cheatcode(s) you wish to use, like "knoppix nodma". The failsafe code will eliminate several common issues and then it would be process of elimination to drill it down to the individual issue if it works. Here is a link to some cheatcode information: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes It usually takes a little experimentation to find a cheatcode or combination that will work with your hardware. I don't have a Dell 2300 here to try, but It looks like the hardware is not uncommon. You can also try the "nohwsetup" option. Even the "noswap" code has yielded results in a few instances. You appear to have tried the "nodma" code already and that one has proven useful with some hardware.

Another issue could be that the disk is somehow defective. Either it was burned at too high a speed or the media itself is not compatible with the drive you are using, or just plain defective. The fact that it works on another machine is not a good indicator, since some drives read bad or certain types of media better than others. I have had several instances where some DVD drives will not read DVD-R media as well as DVD+R and vice versa. I would also verify the MD5 Sums, just in case you had a bad download. It's very rare with a torrent download, but it has been known to happen.

Good Luck!