PDA

View Full Version : xmodule=vesa on HDD install

organicpuzzle
04-20-2007, 03:44 AM
i've been trying to get LiveCD 5.1 working for a while and i was having a problem with my mouse not showing up, but after trolling the forum i found "knoppix xmodule=vesa" to be the solution. i installed knoppix on my hard drive, but i had the same problem of my mouse cursor not showing up! how can i fix this perminantly on my HDD installation?

also, while im asking.. how do i add more supported resolutions to my installation? right now i only have the default three and things are pretty blurry!

thanks!

onemyndseye
04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Im affraid we will not be able to help you without some more info... You only have 3 resolutions available because you are using the vesa xmodule which only give basic functions to a WIDE range of video cards.

We need to know what kind of Video card you are using and What kind of monitor.

As for your mouse issue... it sounds like your cursor theme is messed up in some way... try this from KDE:

Menu ---> Control Center ---> Peripherals ---> Mouse

Click the Cursor Theme tab --> and choose a theme that previews properly.

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

organicpuzzle
04-20-2007, 08:05 AM
sorry i forgot to mention my system spec.

asus a8n32 sli deluxe, amd athlon 64 3700+, GeForce 6800GS

onemyndseye
04-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Your video card needs the latest driver from nVidia to reach the resolutions that you need.

Try google for: Linux nVidia Installer

Easy to install package should do the trick but you will also need the contents of the /usr/src/ directory from the *DVD*. This directory contains the needed Kernel source tree for compiling programs.

Just boot from the LiveDVD and cp /usr/src/ to /usr/src on your current install

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye