PDA

View Full Version : Backing up Firefox & Thunderbird

tycopolis
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm trying to retrieve some data and need some help. Basically, I can't find my mail for Thunderbird and Evolution.

When I mount the HDD. I see these dir's.

bin
boot
cdrom
dev
etc
home

These locations do not seem to exist: /home/YourUserName/.mozilla-thunderbird and /home/YourUserName/.mozilla

When I go into etc, the mozilla-thunderbird dir has 4 items in it. 3 files and 1 dir called pref that has nothing in it. The 3 files are:

auto-config.js
global-config.js
global-config.js.dpkg-new

The last 2 files are the same size (923 B). auto-config.js is (228 B)

The Firefox dir seems ok. That just has text, and all I need are the bookmarks.

I have no clue as to where the Evolution dir is. I do not see a dir for evolution.

I believe that my mail is stored somewhere else on the drive. There is a folder called "root", but I believe that is different from /.

How do I get to "/"on the HDD using knoppix? I think that my mail for Thunderbird and Evolution is deeper inside the file system.

Thanks...

tycopolis
04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
I just looked at another box, and I am at "/". The / dir has the "root" directory inside of it.

JohnnyH
04-24-2007, 09:40 AM
What are you searching your directories with - a file manager such as Konqueror, or a command-line console ?
In e.g.Konqueror check Show Hidden Files in the View menu.
In a console
ls /home/<whatever-is-tycopolis-user-name>/.mozilla-thunderbird/knoppix/Mail should show your mail folders.
N.B. The mail files contained will not be in filename.eml format, and could be very large; you would need to copy them into the corresponding location of a working Thunderbird system for convenient rendering.
Don't know the specific details for Evolution as I don't use it ;)