PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix multisession, config on second!

russ hancox
01-04-2003, 12:10 AM
I dunno how hard that would be but someone should suggest to klaus to make the knoppix cd a multisession and have the ability to save your config file as a second session then have that automatically loaded on boot.

See cool linux.

eadz
01-06-2003, 06:09 PM
hi there, I looked into this a bit more as i think it's a great idea.. but :

from what i read as suse, multisession support isn't that good, it seems to be cdrom drive dependent.
every session ads 30MB of leadin-leadout per session!

I did find this in my search though : Overlay filesystem, VERY COOL!!!
not sure if it ever got to a stable stage though.
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9801.0/0132.html

audioaficionado
01-09-2003, 06:51 AM
I'm a Linux newbie and Knoppix is the version I use. It would be cool when you shut down, if you could easily save your configs to the HD. Then when Knoppix boots back up next session, you are given the option to load it back up or start fresh.

Knoppix is HD aware as it grabbed an ext2 swap partition on my HD and uses it for swap. I wouldn't mind carving some more Linux partitons for Knoppix to save files to and the wished for saved config files.

It's awesome how well this distro works. I tried to install Libranet 2.0 and it choked just after I'd formatted the partitions. No found CD-ROM drivers or it just couldn't find it. I think Libranet should have not tried to do so much from the two floppies and just packed the first with more drivers. Then they could do the rest from the CD. Knoppix has no problems like that for me.

RockMumbles
01-09-2003, 07:14 AM
If you want to use a hd partition for saving data etc. and still run knoppix from CD you should look into the persistant Home package. You'll either need to have a floppy or reburn a modded cd iso.

here is a link:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=460#460

rock

probono
11-17-2004, 02:12 AM
The closest that comes to this idea seems to be CD-Persistant for Morphix, http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/CD-Persistant

"This mini-module saves user files, setting and configurations to another mini-module. When the generated mini-module(s) are loaded it will auto-magically restore these files. The mini-module can be used in conjunction with a Morphix CD burnt as a multi-session CD, to save your user files, setting and configuration to the same CD"

Harry Kuhman
11-17-2004, 02:35 AM
I dunno how hard that would be but someone should suggest to klaus to make the knoppix cd a multisession and have the ability to save your config file as a second session....
I think it's a great idea, but I have another question. Will it work? Here's why I ask: I made a bootable Damn Small Linux CD and kept the CD open for a second session. I booted it, and used the CD writed in DSL to write some files to the CD as a second session. This all worked and the files were on the CD, along with the original DSL files. But the CD was no longer bootable. Apparently something in writing the second session changed the disc enough to affect how it boot. Does anyone know a way to write to the second session and still keep the disc bootable (and why it wasn't bootable in the above case)?

OErjan
11-17-2004, 04:56 PM
sadly NOT. as the "mbr" has to be rewritten to list new files.
yes, i KNOW, that description is not 100% corect but close enough for now
and yes i know about inodes... this is just a simplified description.

only way i can think of is if it was "partitioned", then the new partitiuon should have a mbr of its own.

Fabianx
11-26-2004, 05:27 PM
I dunno how hard that would be but someone should suggest to klaus to make the knoppix cd a multisession and have the ability to save your config file as a second session....
I think it's a great idea, but I have another question. Will it work? Here's why I ask: I made a bootable Damn Small Linux CD and kept the CD open for a second session. I booted it, and used the CD writed in DSL to write some files to the CD as a second session. This all worked and the files were on the CD, along with the original DSL files. But the CD was no longer bootable. Apparently something in writing the second session changed the disc enough to affect how it boot. Does anyone know a way to write to the second session and still keep the disc bootable (and why it wasn't bootable in the above case)?

It should work. There are some posts about it in the WIKI. Perhaps they do something different?!

cu

Fabian

PS: (Sorry for the full quote)