PDA

View Full Version : Got Modem wish to surf with Knoppix ...

DavidTempler
05-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if my internal Intel Ham Fax Modem will work under Knoppix (3.2).I have read a lot of threads and it all seems very complicated ... can I install my Modem under KDE or do I need drivers and is installing them very easy ?

Is it not true that one of the most important things for many PC's is Surfing the Web & Email so why is not made more easy to do... :?

I have managed with help to get my printer,screen and sound working so I hope to soon be able to surf under Knoppix or is this just a dream.......

Has anybody else out there had the same problems and if so have they managed to connect to the Web (and How!)

D.Templer :cry:

zzyzx
05-26-2003, 09:39 PM
http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/int536.html

Not sure it that is it, but it looks like there is a driver for it. In linux for something like this, it is hard until you do it once. :roll:

robert_jg
05-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Looking for more help with this modem. Followed the install instructions from Intel. (kernal source and Dev tools installed)
make clean, make 536ep, make install
Works but on rebooting I get assorted errors on loading. result- no modem!
Can anyone give me some direction in newbie speak? I hate to say it but I'm almost beaten! Save me from going back to Mr Microsoft!

:twisted:

DavidTempler
05-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi Got Drivers is it best to put on floppy? and how do you get to unpack as instructed?

login as ROOT
extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf <file>.tgz"
type : make clean
type :make 536ep
type : make install

being a very new to linux I have come unstuck can anybody show me the way????

:?
D.T.

VxJasonxV
05-28-2003, 02:55 AM
Help with Serial Modems anyone?

Tomtom
01-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Installing such a modem in Knoppix is not as easy as installing it in ordinary Linux-environments, because Knoppix normally boots from a compressed image, which contains all programs and stuff. This image is always mounted as read-only, even if it's located on a hard disk (I think it's, because of the compression interface's capabilities, not possible to handle otherways). So you can hardly change the configuration for your Knoppix and you can't tell him to integrate the ham(modem)-driver-module into his kernel-modules-system. You could only load such a module, if it is contained in the distribution itself (I guess it isn't). The only possibility seems to be, that You can remaster the distribution, which means to decompress all files from the image, change config, and "recompress". Of course it's not that easy....

Bad luck for us newbies!:-(

L2Cache
01-14-2004, 05:25 AM
I got my lucent winmodem working from the info in this good post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050

Tomtom
01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
I made a knx-hdinstall and mounted the root rw, so I could easily install the modem drivers by source compile. Remastering should be the next step...:-)