PDA

View Full Version : Partitions don't mount!

Briana83
04-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I have some partitioned drives, and they will not mount. At least one has files on it, or should. I would like to retreive these. Any suggestions? I need to look at "su returned with an error" threads a bit more as well, but it is late here (or is it early?)

Harry Kuhman
04-28-2007, 08:23 AM
.... but it is late here (or is it early?)

Suggestions:

1) Get some sleep. File recovery is not the kind of thing that you want to do tired. The files will wait.

2) Tell people more about your problem. What type of partitions are these that you have your files on? What error message or other feedback do you get when the partition will not mount?

3) If this is the all too common problem of Windows destroying it's own partitions and not being able to access the files because the partition information in the MBR is mucked up, you very well might be able to fix it with gpart or testcd (man pages are available on each). But I'm certainly not advising you to rush to do this without a better understanding of what you have. And obviously there are some kinds of disk damage that no software is going to recover from.

Briana83
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Well, the tech guy said he copied the files over, and I have tried asking him. He must have been far too busy that day to help me, or just didn't know what to do. I will have to look at gpart and testcd. By the way, here is the error I am getting on both of the partitions I wish to access.
http://briana.delaney.googlepages.com/permden.jpg
The irritating thing is that before I got this "fixed" Knoppix opened the files when it was on CD. So if he messed it up, since he saw what had happened (not like I couldn't have just written to CD or DVD when I had that disk in in since I have 2 optical drives!) I will be VERY angry.

onemyndseye
04-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Still very little to go on...

try this:

open a terminal window (get used to people saying this :P )... and issue the following:

su
<you will be asked for root's password. Enter it>

mount /dev/hdb1

Does the partition mount? Does it give an error? if so issue this:

dmesg

The last few lines should relate to your mount error. Please post here :)

My feeling is that your problem is related to the ' su returned an error ' issue

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

Briana83
05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I finally found what I needed. It worked. I can now retrieve my old files! Thanks! :D :D :D (Sorry about the excess smilage, but I am VERY VERY happy!)

Briana83
05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Okay I need to do this if I reboot, too. But it still worked.

onemyndseye
05-04-2007, 03:35 AM
'....Okay I need to do this if I reboot...."

Yes.... filesystems do not stay mounted for good... they must be mounted when needed. This is a security measure to keep something for accessing the filesystem thay shouldnt be there.

Are you running a INstalled system?.... if so this thread will help you resolve the "su returned an error" issue. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26361.

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

Briana83
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
trying to copy the files to a DVD-R got me an error though: "Accessing files is not supported with the protocol about." What? Seriously, I know Knoppix is from Germany but huh?

http://briana.delaney.googlepages.com/access.jpg