PDA

View Full Version : Fstab table

darklight
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
I have just started using knoppix i have come from opensuse. The problem is how do i stop knoppix from rewriting the fstab table?
Say i plug in a usb stick i have to edit the fstab table to get it to work if i unplug the usb stick and then plug it back in i have to edit the
fstab table again.

rusty
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Hmm, when I plug a usb stick in , Knoppix (5.0) inserts a line in fstab, when I remove the stick and look again , the entry is gone.

What version of Knoppix are you using? Also a derscription of the hardware setup might be useful.

And you are running from live CD?

darklight
04-29-2007, 09:43 AM
I have a hp laptop ZE4547wm i am running knoppix v5.1 it is installed not running from dvd

rusty
04-29-2007, 03:38 PM
The problem stems from installing Knoppix to hard drive which is generally not recommended as things tend to get broken in the process. Your best bet is to try another distro, Ubuntu is very popular these days or Debian itself, on which both Ubuntu and Knoppix are based.

You can try to get the hardware abtraction and device autodetection working by installing the packages - but be forwarned you may end up in worse shape than you are.

From a root shell type: apt-get update
then: apt-get -t unstable install hal
and: apt-geti-t unstable install udev

YMMV

darklight
04-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for that

DirkS
05-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Sorry for being late. I use a Knoppix installation on HD in knoppix mode(!) since, well, when 5.0 was fresh. I started with Slackware, enjoyed SuSE for some years... But meanwhile I prefer Knoppix over SuSE very much - with Knoppix there is much less need to fetch stuff from the internet, because it's already there.

Darklight, you're not a linux-newbie, right? I hope you did not replace your Knoppix installation already. Go to /etc/init.d and grep for "fstab". There will be some findings... Edit the script(s) to meet your preference ;) Quite simple, no magic needed. While you are at it, you can disable the annoying and time-eating "Running from HD, regenerate ld.so.cache and modules.dep ..." booting-brake, too. You may find some other interesting stuff in that directory... perhaps you may want to copy the whole dir before doing really interesting things ;)
IMHO there's no pressure to "downgrade" your fancy Knoppix installation to a mere Debian system ;) Additional stuff may be fine, though...

Have Fun!

maxIT
05-04-2007, 07:12 PM
The problem is how do i stop knoppix from rewriting the fstab table?

Edit the script(s) to meet your preference Wink Quite simple, no magic needed. While you are at it, you can disable the annoying and time-eating "Running from HD, regenerate ld.so.cache and modules.dep ..."

To achieve that is necessary to 'comment out || remove' stuff in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file.