PDA

View Full Version : synaptics driver

Davou
05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Ive been trying to get my double tap and drag functionality to work in linux, but I keep bumping uglies with this problem. Regardless of having installed all the necessary drivers/softwares via apt-get, in the control center the relevant peripheral controls (for the touchpad) registers via the gui that no driver is infact installed. Ksynaptics which runs fine in the system tray also seems to not find any relevant means by which to control the driver (if indeed it is there) because when I doubleclick on it to bring up the options, they are all shaded and un-useable.

I find this bizzare, given that the touchpad does in fact respond to use. But whenever I try to run a program like gsynaptics, this is spit at me.

'Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?'

I have tried adding;

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

To my xorg.conf file, in various configurations (one of which suggested brackets and an extra pair of quotes on SHMConfig) but all that got me was some trouble getting X to start.

The one that gave me the most problems was this one http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad?highlight=%28synaptic%29 which I followed to the letter. StartingX then spat an error at me for line 122 (the part with the added quotes and brackets) so I fixed that, and still no startx... Ive since restored my xorg.conf file, and am looking for a working fix, or even mention of this issue I am having outside of my own experience.

any help is appreciated, even if you only point me in the right direction.

Cheers.