PDA

View Full Version : Apt-get / dpkg tutorial

eadz
05-26-2003, 09:20 PM
I have been using debian for ages, but I still don't know all the tricks or how to use all the advanced apt / dpkg features, and I didn't need to with debian. But because knoppix has a somewhat difficult package selection, having a list of the common commands could be handy to answer questions on this forum.

I'm talking about stuff like how to "hold back" a package, how to install one from a particular release etc.

So here goes, help me out here.. Hope this can be come a quick reference.

To list all the files in a package

dpkg -L packagename

to install a package of a particular release ( assuming it's in your sources.list )
apt-get install -t unstable packagename

RockMumbles
05-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Check out this page for apt-get info on installing, removing, updating, upgrading, and pinning packages. (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html)

HTH

rock

orth
05-26-2003, 11:26 PM
To put a package on hold

echo packagename hold | dpkg --set-selections

To take a package off hold

echo packagename install | dpkg --set-selections

To list the version of an installed package

apt-cache policy packagename | grep Installed

To list packages containing a certain string in its package name, version or description

COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l | grep string

HTH,
orth

Stephen
05-27-2003, 03:54 AM
Tells the status (hold, purge etc..) of the package.

dpkg --get-selections <package name>

To show anything in database with the package name.

dpkg -l ¦ grep <package name>

To deinstall the package with all configuration files.

dpkg --purge <package name>

To save or edit your packages status use dpkg --get-selections > current_selections.txt re-directs your packages to the file, to restore list dpkg --set-selections < current_selections.txt then apt-get update to refresh then apt-get upgrade to make the changes , also can be used to keep your current settings on any install just restore the list to the new install and apt-get update and upgrade or dist-upgrade and you will have the same software packages on the new install.

apt-cache showpkg <package name>

This command will display the dependencies of the package and what the package provides

apt-cache search <package name>
This command will search the package cache and display packages that have a relation to the package.

Usefull apt options -s simulate the action of apt-get the --purge option will purge the configuration files when removing a package(s).

reza
08-07-2003, 06:56 AM
How to list contained files in dselect or aptitude? Or is there any other package management having that feature?

Superstoned
08-22-2003, 10:11 AM
synaptic (and apt-get too) only want to remove KDE 3.1.2, instead of upgrading to 3.1.3... ??? why, wazzup?

popuman
10-08-2003, 02:53 PM
somebody please show me how to upgrade kde once i installed knoppix in my hdd. i'd like to install it and get kopete since gaim still cannot connect to yahoo. pretty please?

aay
10-08-2003, 11:56 PM
somebody please show me how to upgrade kde once i installed knoppix in my hdd. i'd like to install it and get kopete since gaim still cannot connect to yahoo. pretty please?

Do you really need to update KDE for this.

If you're having problems getting kopete, just try this.

apt-get update

apt-get -t unstable kopete

Post back if that works.

popuman
10-09-2003, 03:04 AM
thanks. complied with instructions. output was: E:Invalid operation kopete

help? please?

Superstoned
10-09-2003, 08:44 AM
aay made small mistake: the command should be:
apt-get -t unstable install kopete

(note the "install", thats the missing command apt-get complained about ;)
you could've found that out easy by reading the man about apt-get... THATS how you learn, not by asking us...

how to get info about a command?

man (command)
so

man apt-get
gives manual of apt-get. you can use this for every command!

good luck...

aay
10-10-2003, 02:36 AM

Yes that was certainly a mistake. Thanks Superstoned.

popuman
10-11-2003, 05:58 AM
followed instructions. had some library dependencies. thanks for the help, though. much appreciated.

Superstoned
10-13-2003, 10:51 AM

Yes that was certainly a mistake. Thanks Superstoned.

you're welcome ;)

baldyeti
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
I just noticed that the sample chapter from "Linux in a Nutshell" offered on
the O'Reilly site is about "Red Hat and Debian Package Managers" (PDF).
I hope you'll agree that a pointer to it is relevant to this thread.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut4/chapter/index.html

turbine
12-07-2003, 05:21 PM
"THATS how you learn, not by asking us... "

This is definitely the wrong attitude, held by many in the linux community, and a definite detrement to a more widespread acceptance and usage of linux and in this case knoppix. Don't forget a lot of people are looking in on these posts, people who are considering becoming knoppix users. We don't want to discourage them with bad manners, condescending attitudes, snobbish behaviour, etc. Always be as helpful and courteous as possible, otherwise remain silent.

keboerg
12-21-2003, 11:01 PM

A. Jorge Garcia
12-22-2003, 12:46 AM
If we're done flaming eachother, what I don't understand is how do you get a list of what is available to install via apt-get?

Regards,

keboerg
12-22-2003, 08:42 AM

Cuddles
12-22-2003, 09:51 PM
I have to agree with Turbine,

I admit I am a newbie, and I am quite sure I can be a pain in the b*tt, naggy even, when it comes to getting assistance.

But, I love Knoppix, and I know many times, the Site Admins have pointed me to the FAQ "sticky" posts at the top of the Forum's - In fact, I was pointed to this one a day or so ago, to get information on getting and installing "packages" and downloaded programs into Knoppix/Debian.

I LOVE to get input on finding my own answers, that is what seperates us humans from other species on this planet. But, from a newbie stand-point, sometimes us "newbies" don't "know" those "security" codes that are kept locked in die-hard Unix/Linux users minds - and we ask. Sometimes those questions are "dumb" and "simpleton" questions, but the response is important, not the attituide. Treating people with respect, and even if they don't know something that you are privy to, doesn't make them any less of a human being.

I respond to any posting here, and may times, someone else posts right after me, with better information. I am learning though. Who knows, someday, I might actually post something that is looked at by one of the Site Admins, and given praise - I hope someday :D

Linux, to me, is a bright, shinny, brand new toy - it facinates me - and am jumping on the Linux Train with my new system. I would hope that someday, I will be as knowledgable about Linux as I am about Windows, DOS, and even Programming within both those areas. But, I need a lot of work, I know.

Just my two cents worth,
Cuddles
[ps] Thanks for the apt-get information - I am sure that this posted sticky is going to be read many times in the future by myself to get the information to install all the great apps that Linux has to offer :)

A. Jorge Garcia
01-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Here, take a look at this related thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7021

for some apt-get examples.

Enjoy!

A. Jorge Garcia
01-03-2004, 05:32 PM
BTW, is there anyway to use apt-get to install something to the ramdisk temporarily while running off the KNOPPIX CD, maybe to tmp? Apparently you can install some things that way, look at fabianx's nvidia installer script which works for cdd and hdd installs. I suppose it would depend on what files need to be installed and updated so it would be application specific, right?

My kid at college has an old Gateway desktop in his dorm room that runs fine with the CD but the hdd is dead. Well, he's too cheap to get a new hdd, so he'd like to install the nvidia drivers and bzflag this way. Can this be done?

Why don't you just type apt-get install and press <Tab>?
It will list everything available to install.

BTW, I can't get this to work. Does this work? The best I can do to see available apps to install is apt-cache search xxxx - is that all I can do?

TIA,

Markus
01-03-2004, 11:07 PM
BTW, is there anyway to use apt-get to install something to the ramdisk temporarily while running off the KNOPPIX CD, maybe to tmp?

Sorry, not a clue. Why not just try it out, after all, it won't break anything on the ramdisk.

Why don't you just type apt-get install and press <Tab>?

BTW, I can't get this to work.

You have to press tab three times (I think) and choose "y"
Just press tab until it does something :)

Kick the Donkey
01-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Well, I had to look for this online, so I thought this would be a good place for it, as well.

Should you require to use apt through a proxy, you just need to set an enviroment variable:

export http_proxy='http://proxy.site.domain:port@user:password'

If your proxy doesn't use a username/password, just leave the '@' symbol and everything after it off.

Hope that helps someone.

gowator
01-21-2004, 06:12 PM
This topic sounded really good!!!
Coming from the RPM world i lack a certain aptitude ;-) with debian.

I wanna change my sources but I was a bit worried about breaking the knoppix specific stuff.

I messed about and wrecked kde and it won't come back, mainly because some packages are on hold.
Its no big deal becuase its a new install, I only been using Knoppix for a week but I have to say Im impressed as hell.

I downloaded the latest 3.3 to fix a screwed Mandrake install and seeing the new feature list and the fact it supported my 1GB memory I went ahead with a HDD install......

The hardware detection is amazing.... quite why debian are looking at anaconda is beyond me when knoppix does it 10x better.

Anyway, I'd really like to FIX the KDE and learn something in the meantime ... I just wanna know which sources to add and what needs to be on hold and hopefully this thread can grow ......

wmcn
01-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Should you require to use apt through a proxy, you just need to set an enviroment variable:

export http_proxy='http://proxy.site.domain:port@user:password'
Hope that helps someone.

I used this for yum yesterday.. but I think its only fedora/redhat yum specific. I could be wrong though.

gowator
01-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Its bash specific, its a part of the bash shell, ftp_proxy works too.

Mistshadow
02-04-2004, 02:12 AM
THATS how you learn, not by asking us...

Well, what are you good for then? :wink:

Seriously, can anyone tell me what this means (and sorry for bringing up such an old thread):

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

I thought I'd start with something simple so I installed kmoon. It seems to have installed fine, but I'm puzzled over the output I got above.

Also can anyone tell me why, after I'd installed Knoppix to my hd and tried to run one of Kano's bash scripts (fix-all-global.bash) as root I got permission denied? :shock:

Lastly, I want advice. I understand that Knoppix uses a mix of Sarge and Sid. Would it save me from problems down the line if I upgrade fully to Sid or try to downgrade to Sarge? If the latter, how? Google only revealed that it *is* possible, but not how; there seems to be some sort of trick to it. The man pages were no help either.

Stephen
02-04-2004, 05:23 AM
THATS how you learn, not by asking us...

Well, what are you good for then? :wink:

Seriously, can anyone tell me what this means (and sorry for bringing up such an old thread):

W: Couldn't stat source package list http://non-us.debian.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_%7ekitame_mozilla_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_packages_sid_i386_Pac kages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

I thought I'd start with something simple so I installed kmoon. It seems to have installed fine, but I'm puzzled over the output I got above.

Also can anyone tell me why, after I'd installed Knoppix to my hd and tried to run one of Kano's bash scripts (fix-all-global.bash) as root I got permission denied? :shock:

Lastly, I want advice. I understand that Knoppix uses a mix of Sarge and Sid. Would it save me from problems down the line if I upgrade fully to Sid or try to downgrade to Sarge? If the latter, how? Google only revealed that it *is* possible, but not how; there seems to be some sort of trick to it. The man pages were no help either.

You need to put a # character in front of the line(s) that are causing the warnings in the /etc/apt/sources.list. For Kano's script did you chmod +x name_of_script.sh to make it executable if so tells us exactly the steps you were using. If you want to go with either the testing or unstable you should comment out (put # character in front of the line) the other lines for the branches that you do not want then apt-get -s dist-upgrade if the output of the simulation looks good then remove the -s from the line to actually upgrade this done after an apt-get update to refresh the apt packages cache.

Carrie~Anne
03-09-2004, 04:46 AM

This is definitely the wrong attitude, held by many in the linux community, and a definite detrement to a more widespread acceptance and usage of linux and in this case knoppix. Don't forget a lot of people are looking in on these posts, people who are considering becoming knoppix users. We don't want to discourage them with bad manners, condescending attitudes, snobbish behaviour, etc. Always be as helpful and courteous as possible, otherwise remain silent.

Thanks for pointing that comment out. As a new knoppix user, I can deffinately say that I'd be leary to ask for help after reading that. These forums are an excellent way to learn about knoppix, but some of the information is confusing to a newbie. Asking questions is a great way to learn things.

Stllgrowin
03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
This probably won't be of interest to the seasoned Linux user, but for us just getting into it, this could be a bit helpful. I had run many apt-get installs. I was excited, but overwhelmed at the 19,000 + install packages listed. In a shell when you type apt-get install and tab 3 times, you get a huge list of packages all in text and not easy to decipher without doing some searching on the net for a description.

I tripped over a package called 'kpackage'. I had no idea what it was, but figured it had to do with package handling. A couple of days later I saw it in my menu and clicked on it. This is a great program that list out the install packages and gives you a brief explaination of what it is and what other supporting installs you will need to get it working correctly. You put a checkmark by the package you want to install and click install.

I am by no means steering anyone away from working in a shell. It seems to be the foundation of Linux and deffinately needs to be practiced.

Hope this helps someone..................anyone. :)

vulcanidiot
05-05-2004, 01:17 PM

(note the "install", thats the missing command apt-get complained about ;)
you could've found that out easy by reading the man about apt-get... THATS how you learn, not by asking us...

how to get info about a command?

man (command)
so

man apt-get

RIGHT .... man pages are about the most useless form of documentation ever devised with their implied simplicity geared strictly for the guy who wrote the program, not for people who actually need real examples.

One thing I have seen repeatedly, and Klaus is no exception - the one place I need to see real examples there are always shitty examples that follow some hypothetical, and when you try to duplicate the results, the wheels fall off.

I follow examples here, like I want to install the infamous Gallery package, and when I follow *your* examples, like
apt-get install gallery, the thing fails.

Searching the miserable Deviant site for package information provides a package name, and it's way out of date.

Trying to plug the shown package information into apt-get produces a myriad of failures.

It's as much trouble as trying to use RedRag's RPM command.

So I'd rather use the original package directly from the source - and install to the system using what the developer decided was best.

good luck...

Rink
05-17-2004, 10:19 PM

If I can just put in my two bit's worth....

The man pages are a valuable technical resource, but are rather less useful for a noob who is not necessarily adjascent with all the terminology.

vulcanidiot
05-17-2004, 11:35 PM

If I can just put in my two bit's worth....

The man pages are a valuable technical resource, but are rather less useful for a noob who is not necessarily adjascent with all the terminology.

Such a condescending attitude ... "you think you know, but you have no idea". Don't make assumption about people.

I've been using Linux since it was .96, was responsible for some major changes in the industry regarding databases back in 1998/99 which directly affected several large database companies.

So I'm not a "noob" - I'm a seasoned veteran with Linux, and ex-submarine sailor and I have learned that man pages, VI and a lot of the crap you think makes you an "elite" sysadmin is really just hurdles to getting anything done.

If it slows down my ability to get something donw, that's time wasted, and time wasted means money lost. So I have a busniess perspective, not an academic perspective.

I appreciate the efforts of all open sores developers and will be contributing myself in the near future ... and there won't be any man pages.

Rink
05-18-2004, 12:33 AM
>Such a condescending attitude .

That wasn't my intention. Sorry.

>So I'm not a "noob"

No.

I first started programming in FORTRAN in 1973, but am a relative newcomer to Linux, so I would consider myself as a 'noob'.

I was merely making the point that the man pages are a technical reference and are rather less useful to anyone who might not have a full understanding of some of the technical terms.

Sorry if I offended you.

vulcanidiot
05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
>Such a condescending attitude .

That wasn't my intention. Sorry.

>So I'm not a "noob"

No.

I first started programming in FORTRAN in 1973, but am a relative newcomer to Linux, so I would consider myself as a 'noob'.

I was merely making the point that the man pages are a technical reference and are rather less useful to anyone who might not have a full understanding of some of the technical terms.

Sorry if I offended you.

Apology accepted and Coolness has been achieved ... so we's both geezers ... LOL

Seriously, I have always been annoyed by man pages that say everything but what you need, and I hit a point in my life where I can say without a doubt that man pages do indeed suck, regardless of your experience level.

That and having to use "--help" on most programs. Why not just "-help" ...
(don't answer that - it's rhetorical)

;)

Rink
05-18-2004, 11:36 AM
>annoyed by man pages that say everything but what you need

Yes, that was entirely my point.

They are not tutorials but dry-as-dust Technical referrences.

If you already know what you want to do, then you can use them to check the syntax.

If you need help on how to proceed to reach a certain objective, you would have to be VERY comfortable with the sort of Computerese used to make any headway.

On the other hand, a forum like this with plenty of 'geezers' to lend a hand can be a lifesaver (it has been for me)

vulcanidiot
05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
>annoyed by man pages that say everything but what you need

Yes, that was entirely my point.

They are not tutorials but dry-as-dust Technical referrences.

If you already know what you want to do, then you can use them to check the syntax.

You hit the nail on the head there ... and people should probably be taught that out of the gate, but man pages are always mentored to be the os's "help" system, so it's got high expectations and minimal delivery.

{quote]
If you need help on how to proceed to reach a certain objective, you would have to be VERY comfortable with the sort of Computerese used to make any headway.

On the other hand, a forum like this with plenty of 'geezers' to lend a hand can be a lifesaver (it has been for me)[/quote]

We cannot assume age in help - I've been clobbered by 16 yr old rocket scientists and know a lot of old stupid people. ;)

Rink
05-18-2004, 09:45 PM
>We cannot assume age in help - I've been clobbered by 16 yr old rocket scientists and know a
>lot of old stupid people.

Fair enough. I was only using the term 'geezer' in the same context as you used it to me.

We both have the experience to understand the frustrations of anyone trying to find their way through an environment where you do not have your hand held every step of the way.

Other operating systems might think that they know the purpose of your journey before you set off, Linux makes no such assumptions - You have to set off in the direction you want to go; thereafter you need directions.

vulcanidiot
05-18-2004, 11:01 PM
>We cannot assume age in help - I've been clobbered by 16 yr old rocket scientists and know a
>lot of old stupid people.

Fair enough. I was only using the term 'geezer' in the same context as you used it to me.

We both have the experience to understand the frustrations of anyone trying to find their way through an environment where you do not have your hand held every step of the way.

Other operating systems might think that they know the purpose of your journey before you set off, Linux makes no such assumptions - You have to set off in the direction you want to go; thereafter you need directions.

Have you read my book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071346252/linuxdirectory/002-5807420-7251228?creative=125577&camp=2321&link_code=as1

:)

Ooops now you all know who I am ...

-t-

Rink
05-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Tom,

Haven't read your book; looks interesting.

Dave Coventry
(Nothing Yet Published!)

;)

vulcanidiot
05-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Tom,

Haven't read your book; looks interesting.

Dave Coventry
(Nothing Yet Published!)

;)

They also translated it into Chinese ... lol

-t-

j.drake
08-25-2004, 06:30 AM
BTW, is there anyway to use apt-get to install something to the ramdisk temporarily while running off the KNOPPIX CD, maybe to tmp?

AJ, I was just poking around the new release of 3.6, and encountered KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> "Install Software (while running from CD)". One of the menu choices is apt-get. Looks like Fabian left you an easter egg.

This is news to me. I don't recall seeing anything about this before.

I've been trying to update the WIKI a little, and came across this thread. As far as I can tell, not much has been put there about apt. Does anyone know of other resources that would be good to integrate?

jd

j.drake
08-25-2004, 06:42 AM
Oh, man. Just did apt-get update with poor man's. 2damcool

jd

Radagast
09-08-2004, 05:30 AM
yet another dpkg/apt-get tutorial (http://www3.sympatico.ca/howlettfamily/linux/how_to_install_software.pdf)

mimes
11-14-2004, 04:04 PM
I believe from other help i have gotten from this forum that you need KNoppix to be installed on the harddrive to install any packages, or at least .deb pckages.

JPsDad
03-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Superstoned said:
Code: man apt-get
but when I enter it:
# man apt-get
it returns the following:

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
man: command '/bin/gzip -dc /usr/share/man/man8/apt-get.8.gz> /tmp/zmanGYqwiN'
failed with exit status 256
No manual entry for apt-get

I need more than "good luck..." :? I need a teenage geek :wink:
The man entries that I have seen are rather cryptic and presuppose knowledge that this newbie does not have. Is there a manual on how to understand the manual??

dad :cry:

sakiZ
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for this tutorial.

I've been having my own apt-get issues. I recently installed Abiword, a very nice word processor. I can even create PDF files with it.

My problem is that now when ever I want to install quite a number of packages including:

KDE 3.4
Mplayer

just to name two,

I get an apt-get message saying that it will now remove the 7 Abiword packages that make up that installation in order to complete the installation of whatever it is I'm installing.

I can get around this by installing programs as Deb files. But it is getting frustrating.

I don't want to remove Abiword.

What to do? And why is this happening?

sakiZ

JPsDad
04-15-2005, 05:27 AM
yet another dpkg/apt-get tutorial (http://www3.sympatico.ca/howlettfamily/linux/how_to_install_software.pdf)
This link did not work for me. And I certainly need another tutorial, because I am still trying to install the AdobeReader 7.0 RPM. I was told to use alien and see README.deb which I was not able to find. I finally typed alien [path&file name] and created a .deb pkg, but Kpackage does not install it.

I need this for my Online Tax Forms, so my time is getting tight!!

Help I need a Dummies Guide.

dad

bab_fast
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
have a problem : i want to upgrade mai os with this command : apt-get upgrade
when it finnish the download status it write this ...

Unpacking libx11-6 (from
.../libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite
`/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/lib/common/ximcp.so.2',
which is also in package xlibs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
pipe)
Unpacking libxext6 (from
.../libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb) ...
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.4',
pipe)
Unpacking libice6 (from
.../libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb) ...
/var/cache/apt/archives/libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.3',
pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb

/var/cache/apt/archives/libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1_i386.deb

wavesailor
05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
This link did not work for me. And I certainly need another tutorial, because I am still trying to install the AdobeReader 7.0 RPM.

I found that document on this link http://www.bglug.ca/articles/how_to_install_software.pdf

-jj

MickLinux
06-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Okay, I have a "beginner" "knoppix-installer" HDD install.

One of the suggestions was apt-get update. Well, I had tried that with devastating results, via dselect.

Essentially, it immediately wanted to eliminate all kinds of stuff like kdebase, upgrade other stuff, and so on. A lot of the upgrades were not able to be found, a lot of others stepped on the toes of preexisting packages and would not be installed.

So for the first case, I had to do without. For the second case, I had to deinstall the preexisting package, configure the broken selection, and then reinstall the preexisting package.

So far, so good.

But when I went to reboot the system, I found that all the autodetection was broken; it spent 5 minutes trying to hook up random modules and erroring out; and the mouse was permanently broken. My solution? To try to reinstall knoppix, which wanted to erase the HDD. With as much broken as there was, it was inordinately difficult for me to save our home directories -- I ended up just formatting over it. I didn't lose everything, because we keep a lot of stuff on the Windows side, as well.

But having reinstalled knoppix, I am now trying again to do a dselect get-update, fresh, to see better what happens.

Meanwhile, if others have suggestions -- including how to undo dselect requests for an update -- I'd be glad to hear of it.

And to those who are arguing how you learn, that's how *I* learn. Not by man, not by asking questions, but by blowing it up and then examining all the little pieces, and finally publishing and asking for opinions. The nuclear physicist method, if you will. Flame away, when you get done rofling.

sakiZ
06-22-2005, 09:45 PM
<<somebody please show me how to upgrade kde once i installed knoppix in my hdd. i'd like to install it and get kopete since gaim still cannot connect to yahoo. pretty please?>>

Gaim connects to Yahoo.

Just set up your Yahoo account on the Yahoo website and then click on Gaim, select Yahoo, and type in your name and password.

sakiZ

GerryA
07-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Guys, is it possible for me to use dpkg to create a .deb file from my Knoppix 4.0 DVD? The reason I ask is because I have a Debian installation that does not have high speed internet and I would love to be able to install some of the application found on the Knoppix 4.0 DVD without having to install Knoppix. Can I boot from the DVD, create .deb package files on the hard drive or a memory stick, and then use that to install the package on the Debian PC? I am running Debian Sarge installed on the remote PCs hard drive.

UnderScore
07-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Let me see if I undertstand your concept. You want to: Use an existing installed Knoppix to create/build a installable .DEB file from the filesystem to then be installed on Debian 3.1 sarge because you do not have a high speed internet connection.

I will not say that it could never be done, but I will say that it probably can't be done easily.

A script was developed for those who do not have a high speed internet connection. It is called apt-zip. You can install it on your machine by running:
apt-get install apt-zip
It contains two main scripts: apt-zip-inst and apt-zip-list
View the manpage: man apt-zip-inst
See also http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/apt-zip.html

As a sidenote, I must also say that Knoppix 4.0 is pulling from Debian's testing & unstable repositories while your Debian 3.1 sarge installation is most likely pulling packages from the stable repository. Mixing packages from different repositories is OK as long as you understand that the words testing & unstable are really what they mean. Testing/Unstable may break/messup a packages on your system.

GerryA
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Ok, thanks for that, I will try the apt-zip package as that seems to be what I am looking for.
The reason this came up is because there are lots of intereting utilities etc on the 4.0 DVD that I would like to have on this Debian installation.

Thanks for your answer.

pezz453
08-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Is there a way to list all current installed packages?

Markus
08-12-2005, 09:12 AM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#APT

Freitag
03-18-2006, 05:32 PM
I have an odd problem. After a major upgrade using apt-get somehow my Xserver got messed up. I then went to xfree86 and downloaded and installed the most uptodate version of xfree86. This was probably a big mistake, but water under the bridge and all that.

Anyway I can run twm with no problems but kde is unstable. Can I undo all of this and reinstall the xorg based (?) version of Xserver?

I've tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but this doesn't even open a window and just thinks for a moment and returns my command prompt.

Thanks for any help,
Freitag :)

stephen_pcola
08-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I see the last date in this topic is from awhile ago, most questions can be answered by reading other posts. I know to use apt-get instead of kpackage cause kpackage doesn't seem to prompt you about removing a whole bunch of packages when installing one like apt-get. I know that you have to see what is being removed and upgraded when you run apt-get update && upgrade or yes you will lose some functionality like xorg. All I need to know is what is the latest source list for knoppix, Is it what I already have in my list if I have the latest version of knoppix from 6/2, I seen a source list section somewhere I already had those though. where is a post about figuring out how to get around when you try to install a package and it tries to remove way too much? I mean is this part of the warning about installing knoppix as the Livecd straight to hard-drive dilemna I saw the warnings about? Is there a way to get around this? EX.-tried to install newest version of firefox and it tried to remove everything but the kitchen sink so I declined. Just tell me where to read, I know it's somewhere just couldn't find it, already read the apt-get tutorials.

Demopoly
06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I see the last date in this topic is from awhile ago, most questions can be answered by reading other posts. I know to use apt-get instead of kpackage cause kpackage doesn't seem to prompt you about removing a whole bunch of packages when installing one like apt-get. I know that you have to see what is being removed and upgraded when you run apt-get update && upgrade or yes you will lose some functionality like xorg. All I need to know is what is the latest source list for knoppix, Is it what I already have in my list if I have the latest version of knoppix from 6/2, I seen a source list section somewhere I already had those though. where is a post about figuring out how to get around when you try to install a package and it tries to remove way too much? I mean is this part of the warning about installing knoppix as the Livecd straight to hard-drive dilemna I saw the warnings about? Is there a way to get around this? EX.-tried to install newest version of firefox and it tried to remove everything but the kitchen sink so I declined. Just tell me where to read, I know it's somewhere just couldn't find it, already read the apt-get tutorials.

perhaps this could be a new thread? "How to resolve apt-get conflict problems."
I've been trying "apt-get -f autoremove libisc50- " etc. etc., with a long list of packages each with a "-" at the end, and it hasn't worked. I may have missed something, but this instruction isn't entirely clear to me.
apologies if this has already been posted/solved elsewhere.

krishna.murphy
06-13-2010, 02:47 AM
perhaps this could be a new thread? "How to resolve apt-get conflict problems."
I've been trying "apt-get -f autoremove libisc50- " etc. etc., with a long list of packages each with a "-" at the end, and it hasn't worked. I may have missed something, but this instruction isn't entirely clear to me.
apologies if this has already been posted/solved elsewhere.

I don't know why what you're doing should have failed, but if you post more details perhaps we can advise. On the other hand, you may be encountering a widely-reported problem, as mentioned by another user here. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/28244-update-hd-install-with-next-version-of-knoppix?goto=newpost#post120573) I would also note in passing the existence of tools other than apt-get for system maintenance, namely aptitude and synaptic - both of which are included with Knoppix out-of-the-box. Perhaps one of them could be useful here.

Cheers!
Krishna :mrgreen:

Capricorny
07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I hoped to find some good, up to date info on package admin in this thread, but I could not see much. There is a need for a sticky package tools thread here, but maybe start a new one?

Here is a nice introduction I found: http://maketecheasier.com/become-an-apt-guru/2009/02/24.

Should we try to use aptitude instead of apt-get?
From the link:

Aptitude/Apt-get

There’s some debate and confusion regarding these two tools. Many Linux users have a hard time telling when/why to use one over the other, as they do roughly the same thing.
Short answer: use Aptitude.
Long answer: Both can be used to manage all software installations removals, and both will do a good job. The Debian team officially recommends using Aptitude. It’s not that it’s a LOT better than apt-get, but that it’s a little better, in lots of ways. You can use either one and it will meet your package management needs, but don’t mix and match on the same system. Pick one and stick with it.

That article is from 2009. Anyone having experiences/viewpoints?

Capricorny
07-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Here is a new article, from June:
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/06/20/apt-get-aptitude-%e2%80%a6-pick-the-right-debian-package-manager-for-you/

One important point is that the older warnings against mix'n match aptitude/apt-get are no longer that valid, and with the latest developments, they are about equivalent.

Here is the conclusion:

apt-get or aptitude?

First I want to make it clear that you can use both and mix them without problems. It used to be annoying when apt-get did not track which packages were automatically installed while aptitude did, but now that both packages share this list, there’s no reason to avoid switching back and forth.
I would recommend apt-get for the big upgrades (i.e. dist-upgrade from one stable to the next) because it will always find quickly a relatively good solution while aptitude can find several convoluted solutions (or none) and it’s difficult to decide which one should be used.
On the opposite for regular upgrades in unstable (or testing), I would recommend “aptitude safe-upgrade“. It does a better job than apt-get at keeping on hold packages which are temporarily broken due to some not yet finished changes while still installing new packages when required. With aptitude it’s also possible to tweak dynamically the suggested operations while apt-get doesn’t allow this. And aptitude’s command line is probably more consistent: with apt-get you have to switch between apt-get and apt-cache depending on the operation that you want to do, aptitude on the other hand does everything by itself.
Take some time to read their respective documentation and to try them.

So, it could seem that there is no longer any big point in choosing one over the other, and for actual use, I can continue with my current practice of mixing dpkg (single .deb packages), aptitude (work with better service), apt-get (as the standard CLI tool) and Synaptic (GUI tool).