PDA

View Full Version : nForce2 Integrated NIC Not Detected

xTrinity
05-26-2003, 09:53 PM
I finally caved in because all the praises from my friends and decided to try it out with Knoppix Live CD (damn peer pressure :p). It boots smoothly and seems to work pretty well. Seemingly, the only problem is that I cant access the internet. My card is undetected and I cant seem to find the right module in the list. Can someone help me? Probably would need help configuring PPOE too, me thinks. Im using MSN Broadband, but thats an issue I will deal with later :p.

Im using the EPoX 8RDA+ with Realtek RTL8201BL 10/100MB LAN.

ketthors
05-26-2003, 10:03 PM
this has been reported as a bug already. You could go to http://www.knoppix.net/bugs/ and check bug # 101 and 164

xTrinity
05-26-2003, 10:45 PM
I guess they didnt include the compiled module yet... :(

ketthors
05-27-2003, 12:41 AM
You could add a comment to bug # 101. The more people that reports it, the earlier we get the compiled driver added.

audioaficionado
06-03-2003, 09:55 AM
I commented under bug #101

I built a new computer with the Abit NF7-S mobo and XP1700 Tbred-B CPU. It's a shame I can't go on line while in Knoppix. Anyone hear if they're making progress?

X_Burner
06-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi,

anybody knows when the bug will be fixed ?

Greetz

X_Burner

ketthors
06-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi,

anybody knows when the bug will be fixed ?

I don't know. Hopefully the next build.

audioaficionado
06-19-2003, 02:37 PM
I heard 2003-06-06 will probably be the last version until after LinuxTag 2003 happens.

Nothing in the bug report #101 indicates it's been addressed yet.

I guess I'll just have to burn the ISO and see if nForce2 drivers made the cut.

ketthors
06-19-2003, 02:49 PM
I've tested the 2003-06-06 ISO, and the drivers are not included.

audioaficionado
06-19-2003, 03:15 PM
I didn't see any unified Debian drivers at nVidia either. All they had was RH, SuSE and Mandrake RPMs. There's a source rpm or tar that could be compiled by someone who knows how.

sacajaweeda
07-05-2003, 12:40 AM
I just put together a machine using the EPoX 8RDA+ board with the nforce2 chipset and was very disappointed when I tried my Knoppix CD and the onboard LAN wasn't supported. These nforce2 chipsets are the fastest thing out right now and are getting more and more popular every day, and this issue/oversight needs to be addressed and corrected like yesterday.

All my friends who I had told about Knoppix were really unimpressed by it when they saw that. :oops:

audioaficionado
07-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Let's not throw the baby out with the dirty bath water.

I'm still very impressed with Knoppix as a whole.

Just a little dissapponted that my nForce2 board can't get online in Knoppix.

It WILL be addressed eventually if not sooner.

sacajaweeda
07-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I am counting the moments!

Should I hold my breath? :lol:

audioaficionado
07-05-2003, 10:25 PM
I am counting the moments!

Should I hold my breath? :lol:

Keep breathing :shock:

Klaus is kinda busy with his DVD release right now :wink:

tigrris
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
I commented under bug #101

I built a new computer with the Abit NF7-S mobo and XP1700 Tbred-B CPU. It's a shame I can't go on line while in Knoppix. Anyone hear if they're making progress?

:(
The same with me. I'v got Abit NF7-S + AMD XP1700 Tbred-B...
First I had problems with power supply... and now this problem with Konppix...
I'v just started with Knoppix today and i'm a little bit disappointed, that it doesn't recognize onboard LAN card... Should I buy additional net card? (I'v just sold oe with my old mobo and cpu :cry: ). Wait till they fit this problem... or someone will find the way to make the card work?
But anyway I think I'll like Knoppix... especially due to lack of space on my HDD's :wink: and - beside the net card - everything works fine!

best regards,
tigrris

ckapsl
07-18-2003, 07:31 PM
I have a similar problem, although with an Intel Pro 100 NIC in a Dell Dimension.

I wonder if it is possible for me to alter the Knoppix image and include the driver? Or is this something that has to be fixed by Klaus?

arkaine23
07-23-2003, 07:18 AM
I fixed the issue by installing nvnet in my remaster, Overclockix.

http://overclockix.octeams.com

699mb

Duffin444
07-23-2003, 08:03 AM
Clusterknoppix works for me and I have the Nforce 2 based assus A7N8X deluxe. I believe that cluster knoppix has the nvidia drivers. Might want to give that a shot as it is basically knoppix with openmosix in it.....and some stuff removed but i didn't notice anything important.

Jarrities Webmaster
08-04-2003, 04:38 PM
I just installed Knoppix 7-26 on my HD.
I also missed my web-connexion on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe board.

The problem was solved by editing the file /etc/network/interfaces to:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and the connexion was up and running (after a reboot of course :wink:).

Hope this helps.

Greetz
Jesper

suppaman
09-09-2003, 09:19 PM
I have the same problem to... using NFS-7 and thouroughbred 2200+ Have to get another netword card. A bit embarrased too. But knoppix helped me a lot especially while using it as a compiler.

hunter2097
09-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Could someone post a version of nvnet.o that will work with KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso, or a link to it?

I am desperate to get a version of knoppix PXE booting on my home LAN, but the built in kernel and PXE boot environment do not have nvnet.o.

]-[

arkaine23
09-14-2003, 05:30 AM
I got it from nvidia.com and compiled the source. Have you treid that, and if so what was the error you had?

hunter2097
09-16-2003, 01:59 PM
My bad. I am a bit of a Knoppix newbie - I didn't realise (or think it possible) the CD had a full compiler and kernel-source!

Anyway, I've compiled the ("non-GPL" - come ON NVidia, what are you thinking?) nvnet.o and added it to the miniroot.gz (in /modules/net) on my PXE server... PXE booted knoppix from a my server's hard-disk is AWESOME, so much faster than from CD - and the perfect recovery/diskless environment.

Knoppix is great. :D

]-[

hw-tph
09-18-2003, 12:12 AM
and the connexion was up and running (after a reboot of course ).

This is Linux. We don't reboot unless we really have to. ;) A simple "/etc/init.d/network(ing) restart" will do just fine. :)

hw

audioaficionado
09-29-2003, 07:15 AM
Well the new Knoppix 3.3 is out.

Is this one able to auto detect and allow me to use my on board NIC on my Abit NF7-S nForce2 mainboard yet?

koszopal
09-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Ive tryed lates iso (24.09) on my abit NFS-7 motheboard and is same :( still no network card detected
koszopal

audioaficionado
09-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Well that tells me it's no longer an oversight but has been deliberatly left out due to legal issues with nVidia and never will be fixed. :roll:

There's other variants of Knoppix that will work so I'll just have to abandon mainline Knoppix and move over to the other ones. :cry:

arkaine23
10-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Its not so bad if you happend to know a guy who does remasters of knoppix. I'm waiting for a couple of updates to the new 3.3 and then I will make Overclockix 3.3, complete with nvnet. :)

If anyone wants to contribute to the overclockix project by making suggestions, helping me make the overclockix page look half-way decent (I don't really know HTML), or by taking OVerclockix and re-remastering it, be my guest.

audioaficionado
10-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanx Arkaine23. Oveclockix worked like a charm.

carmine65
10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Its not so bad if you happend to know a guy who does remasters of knoppix. I'm waiting for a couple of updates to the new 3.3 and then I will make Overclockix 3.3, complete with nvnet. :)

If anyone wants to contribute to the overclockix project by making suggestions, helping me make the overclockix page look half-way decent (I don't really know HTML), or by taking OVerclockix and re-remastering it, be my guest.

Hi arkaine,

I downloaded your ISO, burned it, and installed the distro on my HD (sda5, I have an Adaptec RAID 2400A controller)
At the reboot I get an error message:
Kernel Panic, unable to mount root fs on 08:05...

what does it mean? I can't understand why... where's wrong?
I tried to repeat installation, but, it is always the same....

I have an Nforce 2 mobo ( NF7-S ).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Carmine.

arkaine23
10-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a problem with your raid controller. It may be possible to boot the cd and find out what is used when booted from the cd, then mount your installed filesystem and make corrections. Are you able to mount your hdd's when booted from the CD? If not, then there is an incompatibilty that would need further remastering work to resolve.

I hope to have a new iso available that uses the better version of the install script, one that keeps the hardware detection....

I think you can enable the hardware detction, by mounted your broken install and doing this:

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/knx-autoconfig /etc/rc1.d/S10knx-autoconfig

I'm probably wrong in where it needs to start in the run control inits. Maybe it should run as the first thing in /etc/rc5.d? I'll look around, but you may have to experiment a bit booting from the CD and creating synmlinks to make the knx-autoconfig script run at the beginning of the boot process.

Ask some who's used the new knx-installer to hd install knoppix where the knx-autoconfig is in their rc directories....

It may in fact go deeper than that script into things done by miniroot.gz....

arkaine23
10-13-2003, 02:49 AM
I now have a forum for overclockix support! http://overclockix-forum.theaog.com