PDA

View Full Version : Problem setting up LAN

Twan
05-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Hello,

Just new to Linux :). I tried Ubuntu, but I am not so happy about it. Tried Knoppix and installed a version on my computer with Knoppix-installer. I used the option debian.

Anyway. I try to setup my network and something is going wrong. I can not use LISa, I can not use shared windows directories, no internet. Strange is that I DO get an IP from my DHCP server. But everytime I try to setup network card. Linux comes with "su returned with an error"....

Does anybody know what this problem can be ?
My system is a Laptop with AMD K6-3 500MHz / 192MB RAM and an Argosy EN-210 Ethernetcard (PCMCIA). I asume that the card isn't the problem as I get an IP address.

Hopefully some can help me, because apart from this the system is running like a bliss on my old laptop :)

Thanks in advance !
Antoine

[edit]
Okay, I am lost, maybe the problem can be that I can not log in as root ? Even with the password supplied in the setup.... I really hope somebdoy can help me, as this OS really works very cool, but without network completely useless.....

Twan
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Nobody who can help me ? :( :cry:

cbagger01
05-09-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't know if this is true for the installation as it is true for the livecd, but give this a try:

Open a konsole or other terminal window.

Using lowercase letters, type:

sudo su

Then type:

passwd

and change your root password. Remember the new password or write it down somewhere.