PDA

View Full Version : Difference between install of Knoppix and other Live CDs?

stevesr0
05-10-2007, 12:46 AM
I have looked at Knoppix and at two other LIVE-CD distributions (Ubuntu and Mepis) as possible versions of Linux to use on an old laptop with a problematic sound card. Knoppix and Mepis impressed me and of the three, Knoppix is the only one to detect and make the sound work "automatically".

All three of these distributions have an install program available once the Live CD has booted up. All are derived from Debian.

Only the Knoppix site claims that an installing the OS (on the hard drive) is problematic. Are there differences between these distributions in the way they handle the install from Live CD or the nature of the installed version (compared to the Live CD) that makes Knoppix more problematic than Mepis or Ubuntu?

I realize that this involves asking for opinions from Knoppix users about other distributions, but I don't know of a comparative site to post on.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

PS. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize and appreciate your moving it to the correct one.

Harry Kuhman
05-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Yup, different. See answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

onemyndseye
05-10-2007, 05:49 AM
its basically just that Knoppix is not design to be used this way (HD install) and can/will yield unpredictable results at times.

Take Care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye