PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu (Kubuntu etc.) getting bigger than Knoppix?

RNK
05-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Knoppix is my first to linux about 3. 1? 8) I use knoppix from that time on, I have been using it on and off(Livecd). I am also following a few other distro's and it seems to me that 1 other from Ubuntu is getting a lot more followers than Knoppix.

I also tried (K)ubuntu because knoppix did not work I really good on my laptop :(

What is Your opinion about the amount of users?

Is it growing?

Is Ubuntu (and the others Kubuntu) taking it over?

I really hope that the next one from knoppix works like a charm for me again... :)

Harry Kuhman
05-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Ubuntu/Kubuntu is certainly gaining popularity. But I see it as gaining popularity over Debian, not Knoppix. Ubuntu is mainly intended as a normal installed Linux. Actually, the "Live CD" portion of Ubuntu struck me as an extreme disapointment. And I couldn't find any difference at all between the Ubuntu Live CD and the Ununtu Live DVD as far as the Live portion went! I'm not particularly impressed by the Ubuntu hype, and some of it's sucess is more due to the problems of Debian than the sucess of Ubuntu, but whateve the reason it is gaining ground, at least in terms of numbers of users. And if you have some new hardware (newest video cards or LAN interfaces, for example), you may have a better chance of getting them supported in Ubuntu than in either Debian or Knoppix. There are other distros, like Mandirva and even Puppy Linux that I can also say this for though, it's not just Ubuntu.

Knoppix certainly has other Live Linux compatriots that offer a lot, and IMHO it is suffering some from limited and very delayed releases. And I'm very disapointed that wireless support has taken a major step backwards in 5.x, whit the only wifi card that I had that was supported in 4.02 no longer operational in any 5.x version! For a while many considered Katonix to be catching up or even superior to Knoppix, but it seems to have been abandoned. But if what one is looking for is a general purpose Live Linux disc, then Knoppix is still a pretty good choice. It's really not suitable for installing by the average user, so if that's what you are looking for consider Debian or even Ubuntu (But you don't need, or even want, a Live CD for installing).

RNK
05-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Ubuntu/Kubuntu is certainly gaining popularity. But I see it as gaining popularity over Debian, not Knoppix. Ubuntu is mainly intended as a normal installed Linux. Actually, the "Live CD" portion of Ubuntu struck me as an extreme disapointment. And I couldn't find any difference at all between the Ubuntu Live CD and the Ununtu Live DVD as far as the Live portion went! I'm not particularly impressed by the Ubuntu hype, and some of it's sucess is more due to the problems of Debian than the sucess of Ubuntu, but whateve the reason it is gaining ground, at least in terms of numbers of users. And if you have some new hardware (newest video cards or LAN interfaces, for example), you may have a better chance of getting them supported in Ubuntu than in either Debian or Knoppix. There are other distros, like Mandirva and even Puppy Linux that I can also say this for though, it's not just Ubuntu.

Knoppix certainly has other Live Linux compatriots that offer a lot, and IMHO it is suffering some from limited and very delayed releases. And I'm very disapointed that wireless support has taken a major step backwards in 5.x, whit the only wifi card that I had that was supported in 4.02 no longer operational in any 5.x version! For a while many considered Katonix to be catching up or even superior to Knoppix, but it seems to have been abandoned. But if what one is looking for is a general purpose Live Linux disc, then Knoppix is still a pretty good choice. It's really not suitable for installing by the average user, so if that's what you are looking for consider Debian or even Ubuntu (But you don't need, or even want, a Live CD for installing).

Well, because of the very large group of followers Ubuntu is gaining i did get more en more interested to try it out.
But i really hope that Knoppix will get a larger group of followers/user so that it will stay. Isn't it so that knoppix is debian based and if debian is getting less importent, knoppix will be getting it more and more difficult with new versions?

I really hope knoppix is here for ever but when i first started with knoppix everything did work on my pc and at this time it do not work all that well on my pc with wlan. And yes ubuntu is not that a big rescue livecd as knoppix has been for several years. But for a few off my friends and family it has been a wonderful replacement for other os.

What I have been trying to say earlier: 'keep on going strong!' :D
I will keep handing out knoppix cd's to people who wants to try it out...

Harry Kuhman
05-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Isn't it so that knoppix is debian based and if debian is getting less importent, knoppix will be getting it more and more difficult with new versions?
You say that Knoppix is Debian based. But Unbuntu is also Debain based. So your point make no sense to me. I'll certainly grant that Ubuntu seems to have a lot more resources behind it than Knoppix, but it's not trying to be a Knoppix, it's target user is very different.

My point remains, if you are using a Live CD, Knoppix is a good choice, although you may wish to try other Live CDs such as Puppy Linux if you need better wireless support or other features. It's worth you time to learn what major Live CDs are out there and what they offer. If you are installing to hard disk, then Knoppix is certainly not the best choice (IMHO, others think it's fine).

RNK
05-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Isn't it so that knoppix is debian based and if debian is getting less importent, knoppix will be getting it more and more difficult with new versions?
You say that Knoppix is Debian based. But Unbuntu is also Debain based. So your point make no sense to me. I'll certainly grant that Ubuntu seems to have a lot more resources behind it than Knoppix, but it's not trying to be a Knoppix, it's target user is very different.

My point remains, if you are using a Live CD, Knoppix is a good choice, although you may wish to try other Live CDs such as Puppy Linux if you need better wireless support or other features. It's worth you time to learn what major Live CDs are out there and what they offer. If you are installing to hard disk, then Knoppix is certainly not the best choice (IMHO, others think it's fine). :)

I was not trying to make any point, I was only concerned of the fact that, I did see on several websites that Ubuntu and the others from Ubuntu were getting a lot more users and knoppix dropped down on that same list...A little bit concerned.
And with that in mind I only wanted some feedback about this. Nothing more nothing less.

I am a happy user of Knoppix on my desktop for several years and for a short time less than a year on my laptop :D This for the same reason as you already mentioned.

Thank you for the reactions.

cbagger01
05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I would not be concerned.

KNOPPIX is still being actively developed.
It still has excellent hardware autodetection and support compared to most other livecds.
Klaus is always adding new features that keep the "wow" factor for a Linux demonstration CD. For example, the 3D desktop and the virtualization features.

Ubuntu is an excellent attempt to create a traditional install-to-hard-drive Linux Distribution like Red Hat/SUSE/Linspire, but one that seems to be focused on ease of use for the workstation/desktop user among other things.

Both projects can succeed at serving their intended purpose without fear of the other one, and in the future they might even end up helping one another. Who knows? Since they are both based on Debian and use the Debian advanced package management system, it should be possible to incorporate some software packages from one project into the other project and vice-versa.

docinthebox
06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
As far as live distro technology is concerned, Sidux, Knoppix and Puppy are tops. Knoppix is very well rounded. I can usually find a way to do what I want. Sidux has advanced over Knoppix in certain areas, and has the strength of having all the latest and newest stuff. Puppy is good too, but kind of in a different direction, in terms of getting a really small live distro. (I like it much better than DSL, one of the reasons being DSL insisting on using the 2.4.x kernel which is really outdated at this point.)

I've tried basically every live distro out there and I can say nothing come close to the above three.

Kubuntu 7.04 live CD is still pretty primitive. For example, there's not even a way to boot TORAM.

Fedora 7 live is not too great either. On my Dell Core 2 Duo laptop, it can only use single core.

One Live CD I have yet to try (downloading as we speak) is the KDE Live Four CD. This was just release several weeks ago and can be seen as an OpenSUSE live CD, which is good as you may know, OpenSUSE 10.2 for some reason, only released a live DVD, but not a live CD. At a size of 1.7+ GB, it's too big for me to put on my USB flash drive. If the KDE live is good, it'll go onto my USB flash drive as my fourth favorite live distro.

I think live distro is an area of Linux technology that's going to kick M$'s butt really hard in the next few years. M$ is kind of ignoring this technology for some reason. We only have Win PE and BartPE which are both very limited in capability. M$'s revenue model relies on tying a paid subscription to a single machine, so live distro is really not possible at all under this model, as the whole idea of live distro is so that you can boot a distro on different machines. This is a pity considering M$ probably has spent enormous manpower and resources getting their installation technology working (and it works pretty well). This installation technology (including hardware scanning) can well be translated into a live distro technology. But this is hindered by their business model. I think in 3-4 years, this technology will come back to haunt them and when they realize this, it's gonna be too late, like when they realize search engine is going to be crucial to Internet dominance and trying to get M$ Live going, Google is already so well advanced that M$ don't even stand a chance.

docinthebox
06-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Don't bother with KDE Four Live.

jimjan
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
as live cds go i have found vector 5.8 standard live as a great alternative to knoppix and ubuntu. it is fast stable does well with older pcs and has great apps.

consider giving it a try.

jb

RNK
09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
as live cds go i have found vector 5.8 standard live as a great alternative to knoppix and ubuntu. it is fast stable does well with older pcs and has great apps.

consider giving it a try.

jb

I am just really happy with Knoppix! :D

eadz
09-25-2007, 01:28 AM
I would defiantly recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu over Debian for a HDD install.

drb
09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I would definitely recommend Debian over Ubuntu or Kubuntu for a HDD install. But preferably I would recommend sidux as a fully supported install (based on debian sid).

As far as LiveCDs are concerned, I only use them to help people out with MS problems. I usually carry sidux, kanotix and knoppix discs in case there is something in the hardware that isn't detected correctly.