PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen after booting (xmodule=vesa does not work!)

sydrto
05-15-2007, 08:47 AM
I have recently burned the boot cd, it goes fine through the hardware detection and all but after I say to boot linux it just goes black. The usual fix for this (xmodule=vesa) does not work for me, I get the same problem. I can post more info if you need it. Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Hardware specs might be nice. The one I'm concerned about is what scan rates does your monitor support, and I'll suggest that you try forcing the display scan rates to parameters that you are sure are within spec. But when that doesn't work we'll need to know the rest of the hardware specs, so you might as well give them now.

Also, did you confirm the md5 checksum of the iso before burning? (It's not hard to imagine a bad ISO might cause the screen to go black while booting).

sydrto
05-15-2007, 09:42 AM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2.21 GHz
1GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
GigaByte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
LG Flatron L1952T Monitor (not sure of scan rate, will try and find out)

I did not comfirm the md5 checksum but I still have the ISO files so I can check now. I'll go do that and report that.

sydrto
05-15-2007, 09:49 AM
According to winMd5Sum they are different. That would probably be my problem. I will redownload and try again. Thanks for your help.

Harry Kuhman
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
According to winMd5Sum they are different. That would probably be my problem. I will redownload and try again. Thanks for your help.
Redownloading is not the best idea. You might be able to fix it with BitTorrent without dowmloading everything again. And BitTorrent is much more reliable than the mirrors, even if you do redownload everything at least with BitTorent it will be right this time (and much faster if you have you system configured for BitTorrent properly). See the downloading faq for details.