PDA

View Full Version : Can any other live cds read a Knoppix encrypted home image?

tbobz
05-16-2007, 01:49 AM
For me, Knoppix peaked at 3.7. My customized version did everything I wanted it to, but sadly it won't
boot on my MacBook, whereas the 5* versions do. However Wine seems borken beyond my feeble
efforts to repair it on the 5* series. I'd like to leave Knoppix for a more wine friendly distro, but none seem
to have the kernel module necessary to decrypt my encrypted Knoppix home partition. Any suggestions
would be most welcome.

SiKing
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
1. Boot Knoppix.
2. tar / compress your entire home to someplace other than your home. Depending on what exactly you have in your home, you could use myconfig.
3. Boot the other distro.
4. Uncompress the file from 2 into your home.

JohnnyH
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
A digression to pick up on your subsidiary remarks ;)
I also found Knoppix 3.7 to be the best that 'just worked', at least for its own era of equipment/software. I got some extended life from it with Debian backports, but have now had to move on because of the major changes from Sarge era libraries to Etch|Lenny|Sid .
I got Wine working fine in Knoppix 5.1.1 by purging the supplied (winehq) packages and pointing sources.list at the Debian Etch repositories instead (and I've no reason to suppose that Lenny & Sid wouldn't be OK as well - just haven't tried them yet) :) .
BTW the latest Sidux looks very promising ... just about to try it ;)

tbobz
05-31-2007, 11:37 AM
A digression to pick up on your subsidiary remarks ;)
I also found Knoppix 3.7 to be the best that 'just worked', at least for its own era of equipment/software. I got some extended life from it with Debian backports, but have now had to move on because of the major changes from Sarge era libraries to Etch|Lenny|Sid .
I got Wine working fine in Knoppix 5.1.1 by purging the supplied (winehq) packages and pointing sources.list at the Debian Etch repositories instead (and I've no reason to suppose that Lenny & Sid wouldn't be OK as well - just haven't tried them yet) :) .
BTW the latest Sidux looks very promising ... just about to try it ;)

I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'backports', but Google should assist me.
I tried Sidux, but sadly the kernel module needed to decrypt seemed absent. I got the 'ioctl etc.' message when I attempted to mount my home drive.
Thanks for your reply.

tbobz
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
1. Boot Knoppix.
2. tar / compress your entire home to someplace other than your home. Depending on what exactly you have in your home, you could use myconfig.
3. Boot the other distro.
4. Uncompress the file from 2 into your home.

Though not a direct answer to my query, still a very interesting reply and I thank you for it.

JohnnyH
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
... I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful. ...

dpkg --purge libwine wine winetools wine-dev did it for me on a 'vanilla' Knoppix 5.1.1 CD (both HD-installed and for a re-master). If you've added anything else dependent on any of those, you would have to purge that (first) as well; then you could do a clean Debian wine installation.

Sorry I can't offer anything about the encryption issue, not having used it.

tbobz
06-01-2007, 02:01 AM
... I assume you did this in a remaster. Could you give a brief description of how you purged the winehq packages. I tried to muddle through that when I remastered 5.1.1, but was not successful. ...

dpkg --purge libwine wine winetools wine-dev did it for me on a 'vanilla' Knoppix 5.1.1 CD (both HD-installed and for a re-master). If you've added anything else dependent on any of those, you would have to purge that (first) as well; then you could do a clean Debian wine installation.

Sorry I can't offer anything about the encryption issue, not having used it.

Thank you! I would prefer to stay with Knoppix, so if I can get Wine working, then all will be well.
Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.