PDA

View Full Version : NFTS to FAT32 Transfer?

1meangreen
05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I need to transfer files from my slave(HDA1)(NFTS) to my Master(HDB1)(FAT32). I've right clicked on both drives and allowed read and write, but i still get a error,"could not make folder /mnt/hda1/folder...

The reason I'm trying to transfer is I have the BSOD 00000024x error when i boot my computer up,try to repair with windows cd, run any type of NFTS related OS. I really need to get the files off of the harddrive. I'm using knoppix 4.0. any help would be greatly appreciated.

an image of fdisk-L is below
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/killerhurts01/snapshot1.jpg

rusty
05-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Doesn't make sense. Both your master AND slave are HDB1? Then you get a message thet you can't make a hda mount point?

Give us a bit more info here. With your knoppix (what version?) booted, open a shell and type: fdisk -L and post the output.

You should be able to copy files from your ntfs disk to your fat32 disk once both are mounted with appropriate permissions enabled.

1meangreen
05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Sorry for the typo, The First post has been edited.

rusty
05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
From your fdisk output, it appears that hda1 is formatted FAT32 and HDB1 is NTFS, did your OP have it bass ackwards? If hda1 is the one that you are having trouble with, try: fsck /dev/hda1, from a root shell (k-->knoppix-->root shell) before trying to mount it or change permissions. Type man fsck, in a shell to read the manual, and see options. Unfortunatly fsck will not repair NTFS disks.

Any error messages you encounter will help...

TopFarmer
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Can not help with the Knoppix commands but you XP problem could be that you have hdb3 as the boot partition (0 blocks type fat16) and you need to have hdb1 NTFS active.

If you are trying to write to hdb1, you can not do so it is the NTFS hdd, you want hda1 fat32 hdd. as "rusty" last post indicates.

1meangreen
05-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Update. HDB1 and HDB5 are the same harddrive, just partitioned HDb1 is the main and Hdb5 was supposed to be a backup, but i made the mistake of making it a NFTS instead of Fat32. When i tried fsck /dev/hda1, from a root shell it said no such file, or directory.

rusty
05-24-2007, 04:26 AM
When i tried fsck /dev/hda1, from a root shell it said no such file, or directory.

Again, does the output from fdisk -L show /dev/hda1? If it does then fsck /dev/hda1 should do something other than report it not found. And you are doing so from a root shell?

Regarding hdb, i'm confused - is this the drive from which you are attempting to recover data after a BSOD , and then did you reformat hdb1 as ntfs when it was originally fat16/32?

The more detail, and the chronology of your problem, will help.

Can't emphasize enough that GIYF (Google Is Your Friend) and RTFM (Read The Fine Manual)...

1meangreen
05-24-2007, 05:50 AM
fdisk-l is located above,yes it's a root shell
Hdb1 is my main partition with windows that probably has the BSOD unless it's on both partition of the Hard drive,i don't know how it works, Hdb5 is the backup partition,which i need access to so i can transfer my files to hdb2

rusty
05-24-2007, 02:47 PM
On your knoppix desktop, there should be an icon for each of the drives - what happens when you click on the one for hdb5?

I notice that your fdisk output shows that hda and hdb3 are bootable - try :

1. unplugging hda

2. booting the windows cd and typing: fdisk /mbr from a msdos prompt, then rebooting without any cd's in the drive.

1meangreen
05-25-2007, 12:41 AM
of course, it opens and shows the files. I can't boot HDA1 Up because i get the BSOD, i can't put a Windows CD in because it loads NTFS ,which gives BSOD, i can't load other live CDs such as ERD commander because it to loads NFTS. Windows 98 doesn't recognize NFTS paritions. Windows XP Won't allow me to access it. All i want is to transfer my files from the HDD then I'll format it.

rusty
05-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Hdb5 is the backup partition,which i need access to so i can transfer my files to hdb2

of course, it opens and shows the files

so the the files that you want to save are on hdb5, not hdb1. And knoppix sees them just fine. And you cant access the other partitions for whatever reasons.

I'mgoing to venture a guess that your getting bluescreened at boot because on hdb, hdb3 - with a size of 0 (zero) is marked bootable and hdb1, which probably has your OS is not flagged bootable. You can change that by using either fdisk, or cfdisk as root from the knoppix root shell.

The fact that your windows cd wont boot to recovery mode has nothing to do with the fact that hdb1 is formatted ntfs. It should boot regardless but since I'm not a windows user much anymore I may be wrong.

In any case if you can access the important data on hdb5, consider sending it via email to a free email account with a couple gig of disk space, like google or yahoo mail - they both will give you 2 gig, maybe more.

TopFarmer
05-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Would suggest getting the latest Knoppix not ver.4 ,not sure if it reads NTFS or not. My Knoppix knowlege is very limited.

With hdb3 (size 0 blocks) Active it will never boot, the Active partition needs to be hdb1. Knoppix will change it but I do not know command.

From rusty's post
"booting the windows cd and typing: fdisk /mbr from a msdos prompt, then rebooting without any cd's in the drive." fdisk /mbr is a win98 command , will not be on a XP cd and there is no msdos prompt, XP's command is FIXMBR ran from Repair Console.

You can not copy any thing to hdb2 it is not a partition just a place holder for your logical partition hdb5. The desk top should not show hdb2. In response to your post Thu May 24, 2007 4:50 am

You can only copy to hda1 from hdb1/ hdb5. (using image from 1st post)
If you have problems it is likely do to useing Ver 4.0 or not setting write permission correctly.

Harry Kuhman
05-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Would suggest getting the latest Knoppix not ver.4 ,not sure if it reads NTFS or not.
Yea, all 3.x 4.x and 5.x versions of Knoppix could read NTFS (don't know if there were versions before 3.x. I never saw then if there were.

1meangreen
05-25-2007, 07:03 AM
i don't need to transfer hdb1 to hdb5 because hdb5 is just a partition of the HDD. So sense i can't transfer files to HDb2 my next BIG QUESTION. Is the main partition of windows(HDB1) the only one that contains the BSOD?? If so could i format my main Partition(hdb1) and still keep HDb5(same hard drive different partition). If i can do this i should be able to format the main partition and Reinstall windows. But will i be able to keep my backup partition (hdb5)?
Why can i transfer HDB1 to HDB5? Is it because they are both NFTS or Both the same harddrive?
HDB5 has no operating system installed on it, it's just a different drive.

Harry Kuhman
05-25-2007, 07:14 AM
because they are both NFTS

TopFarmer
05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Is the main partition of windows(HDB1) the only one that contains the BSOD??

You get a BSOD because you do not have the correct partition set Active! HDB3 will Not Boot, only hdb1 is bootable but not set active.

If i can do this i should be able to format the main partition and Reinstall windows
That depends if you have a MS XP cd or if it is a restore cd.

1meangreen
05-26-2007, 02:50 AM
What do u mean it isn't set active. I can view all my files on knoppix i just can't transfer files to my other harddrive or view it in Windows XP or Windows 98. How do i set it active.

TopFarmer
05-26-2007, 04:12 AM
What do u mean it isn't set active If you look at your first post , the image from fdisk-l you will notice under BOOT the * is next to hdb3, a partition of 0 size and 1 track only. If you use a third party boot manger it might be correct but if you do not or have use fixmbr (XP command)or fdisk/mbr (win98 command), hdb1 needs to be set active or have the boot flag. If you get hdb1 set active it may boot with no problems.

How do i set it active I do not use linux much so best to let others tell you. I do think it can be done with fdisk, run - man fdisk - for manual.

i just can't transfer files to my other harddrive You should be able to use hda1 your 2nd hdd if you set write permissions correctly (I've had problems doing so in the past with your error).

1meangreen
05-26-2007, 06:06 AM
I don't use a boot manager. Didn't someone say HDB3 is set by knoppix, it is not actually a partition ,which is why it doesn't show up on Desktop. I haven't used the XP or win98 command b4 but how do i use them sence it's linux. I used man fdisk ,but i'm not sure what one i need. I set both HDa1 and HDa5 as read and right, clicked device select write or whatever and i still can't transfer files between them, even tho they are on the same Hard Drive and are both NFTS. Also i don't need to transfer between them, i just find it odd that i can't.

TopFarmer
05-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Run fdisk /dev/hdX "X=hdd letter" . If you still have it set up the same as you first post - X=B . Reading you last post it looks like you have changed the hdd,s and X would be A.
After it comes up type M for its menu. A to change boot flag partition, and then the letter to Save and exit. Now run fdisk-L and see if the * is next to your XP partition. It now may boot into XP.

I think you need to download a different Knoppix program to write to NTFS partitions.

1meangreen
05-26-2007, 11:06 PM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7811/snapshot2jn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rusty
05-27-2007, 04:50 AM
looks like you typed: fdisk /dev/hdb1

try using: fdisk /dev/hdb without a number

And : p, once fdisk is running, see if the partition table makes sense

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3311&highlight=ungoof might be worth a read as well

TopFarmer
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Why can i transfer HDB1 to HDB5? Is it because they are both NFTS or Both the same harddrive?

I set both HDa1 and HDa5 as read and right, clicked device select write or whatever and i still can't transfer files between them, even tho they are on the same Hard Drive and are both NFTS

Both quote's above are from different posts and leads to some confusion. Some times you list the same hdd as HDBx while other times HDAx , and you state you can transfer files then you say you can not. The inconsistent statements makes us having to guess and that will lead to bad advice.

While I'm at it "select write or whatever" from 2nd quote above, the use of "whatever" does not help trying to figure out your problem. The information needs to be correct and complete.

If you have removed the spare hdd (from first post FDSIK -l, HDA) let us know.

Just how is the hdd with XP installed connected ie: IDE channel and Master/Slave/cable select ?
Have you changed it from when XP was working ?
What all other devices and what IDE are connected ?

1meangreen
05-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Okay, i got it now HDB1 has a * by it. When i boot up my computer it just says INVALID PARTITION. So, i got tired of it and put the Windows XP CD in and i still get BSOD. When i started getting the BSOD nothing had changed on my computer at all. Also, because i was able to set HDB1 as active, I was able to transfer some of my files ,but then it knoppix froze while transferring, so i just restarted. I Noticed it actually copied many of my files even though it froze ,but it is almost like a lost permission to copy the rest of my files. I've even tried swapping master between HDB1 and HDB2 ,but no luck. After i lost permission i checked to make sure both HDB1 and HDB3 have * them and they do. Also, if i type HDA1 OR HDB1, they are the same partition, just confusion.

TopFarmer
05-28-2007, 02:37 AM
i checked to make sure both HDB1 and HDB3 have * them and they do

That is why you get "INVALID PARTITION", due to me never having use FDISK to toggle the boot flag, I assumed when making one partition bootable it would remove any other boot flags. I was apparently wrong, you need to rerun FDISK and use A to toggle HDB3 boot flag off, exit and save. Recheck and be sure only HDB1 has the * boot flag. Very likely also the reason the XP cd has a bsod. Only 1 partition per hdd can have a boot flag and it must be a primary partition. Some third party boot manager's will make an extended volume bootable.

Also, if i type HDA1 OR HDB1, they are the same partition, just confusion. explain ? be concise, it confuses me to.

1meangreen
05-28-2007, 06:24 AM
If i boot up windows it still gives me the BSOD. I did transfer enough of my files though, but how should i format my main parition HDB1? If i start up windows BSOD. If i Put windows XP CD in BSOD. If i put windows 98 CD in it doesn't even detect the partitions. I consider HDA1 and HDB1 the same partition because when i post the picture it showed HDB1, but now it just shows HDA1.

TopFarmer
05-28-2007, 02:40 PM
but now it just shows HDA1If when you run FDSIK-L if it does not list both hdds , reboot and enter BIOS and be sure both hdd's are listed. If both are not listed one hdd likely has a loose IDE or power cable.

If a hdd cable is loose it might cause XP or the CD to be able to know you have 2 hdd's but can not read it and give a bosd.

Do you have a MS XP cd or a Recovery cd ?

I would suspect a hardware problem if the XP cd gives a bosd.
Try removing the non XP hdd and see what happens when booting into XP and the cd.

Win98 can not see NTFS partitions with out a third party program , it should see the hdd with the FAT partition.

Before this problem came up did you add or remove any hardware or have any other problems ?

1meangreen
05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
I got fed up and started googleing around and after awhile i discovered a page on the 00000024x error. I was able to use the steps listed and boot my computer up without a problem. The page i found support at, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP ,Thanks