PDA

View Full Version : File manipulation via Network

doublerealroot
05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I am looking for a method to edit text files (only) through a network connection on my computer which is now running Knoppix. The host and controlling computer is running Windows XP.
I have the network functioning properly, I can ping the computers without any problems and all my shared windows files are visible on the knoppix computer. When I attempt to share a knoppix folder (which will allow me to manipulate the files within that folder) I recieve an error - something in reference to a Perl file which may have the wrong value (when I search for the mentioned file, it is no where to be found on the computer).
I have also tried setting up the remote desktop feature but I would rather use an approach that does not require me to install additional software on my computer running windows.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you may be able to offer.

OErjan
05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
you are at the windows computer and trying to acess the linux?
if so start sshd on the linux computer and install something like winscp or putty on your windows computer.
winscp is not unlike a filemanager and putty is a "remote console"

doublerealroot
06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
i attempted the sshd method you mentioned and i was unable to access the other computer AND edit the files. i kept receiving an error telling me i did not have the correct permissions. I am using the windows computer and trying to edit files, specifically those in one folder, on my linux box. i do have putty.
any suggestions or other methods that may work?
thank you.

rusty
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
If you have internet access on both computers try emailing the file to a yahoo or google mailbox back and forth. Not pretty but for one or two files it's pretty easy.

Harry Kuhman
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
If you have internet access on both computers try emailing the file to a yahoo or google mailbox back and forth. Not pretty but for one or two files it's pretty easy.
Not pretty at all. I'll admit I have had some issues with sharing files between systems, sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. Sounds to me like maybe doublerealroot still has the partition mounted as read only on the Linux box where he wishes to edit the file.

I can't say how to edit the file across the network. If I had to edit and the file was on the Linux box I would telenet in or (as I do on my windows systems), access one system from another with vnc. If the issue becomes transfering files rather than editing then e-mail is the last resourt; I generally start a ftp server on the windows box and use konquror as a client on Knoppix. This transfers files much faster than fooling with microsoft networking (and ms seems to deliberately slow down xfers that are not between two xp boxes) and avoids having to make ms play friendly with linux.