PDA

View Full Version : persistent home

alpha_geek
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi all,

Am new here (seems almost every one is) I have used a few different Distros over the last 18 months, but I am no expert.

I am currently building a robot using an x86 motherboard, there is no CD drive or HD drive

I have downloaded the Pyrobot customized knoppix (based on 5.1.1), and installed it to a 1GB USB stick.

The USB stick boots fine, so I tried to set up the persistent /home. I accepted all the defaults except the encryption.

Now when I boot up, I get the dialog box asking if I want to load the persistent home, settings etc. all of the options seem to work except home.

If I select home and push OK, the system continues to boot, x starts, the background is set, and then nothing. the KDE splash screen (the one with the loading flashing icons) is never displayed.

I have had the same results across 3 systems and a vmware virtual machine, booting from both USB and CD, and using both USB and HDD for storage location of home. (I could not use CD or save home to HDD in robot, so I only did this on the other 2 systems)

any suggestions?

alpha_geek
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
after more testing...

I downloaded the standard knoppix 5.1.1 and used that to create the persistent home, this works fine with the knoppix disk. I then tried booting from the Pyro disk, which also worked fine.

Then I uninstaled some software, upon next reboot same problem again.