PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 5.2

hat_monkey
05-23-2007, 04:37 AM
in this new knoppix (version 5.2 only in german ) version has Hal and udev been replaced by hotplug, etc??

or perhaps you can answer: why are hal and udev still being supported by knoppix when it is impossible to now get both these from the upgrade server?

save us a lot of time and queries in mucking with udev and hal, if this upgrade to hotplug is in fact the case.

or where is the package list for 5.2?
thanks.

hat_monkey
05-28-2007, 09:12 AM
so after you have download knoppix5.2 using info from
http://www.linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=3759&viewcomm=945#comm945

if you get it downloaded before 28 days which is my estimated download time from bittorrent,

perhaps you can answer the questions above, and also tell me if you are able to boot the downloaded DVDknoppix.iso using the 5.1.1 CD version in the CD drive and the

knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/home/directoryname/K*.iso

cheat code for peeps with no burning or reading DVD capacity?

EqUaTe
06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
in this new knoppix (version 5.2 only in german ) version has Hal and udev been replaced by hotplug, etc??

or perhaps you can answer: why are hal and udev still being supported by knoppix when it is impossible to now get both these from the upgrade server?

save us a lot of time and queries in mucking with udev and hal, if this upgrade to hotplug is in fact the case.

or where is the package list for 5.2?
thanks.

I would imagine that in fact hotplug has been completely removed, as with most/all distros.
Knoppix is based on Debian, which no longer uses (or supports) hotplug.
The reason for this is that hotplug functionality has been rolled into udev.
udev is the supported kernel mechanism for handling devices.

You can find more info about this release on the knoppix website, though it is not a download version yet - that'll happen on the release of 5.2.1.