PDA

View Full Version : how to install opera in knoppix, which version?

dolcema
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello,

I need to install urgently opera in my knoppix, I have version 5.0 (itś not the last one)

I have searched in the page of downloads, which one I can't post here because I get a message telling I'm spamming :shock:

Then I saw versions for debian, but wasn't knoppix and other one named other (static) .deb

I figure that the configuration it will be as usual: ./configure, make, make install

but which one of that versions have I to install?

Thanks and Regards

:P

Harry Kuhman
05-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I have searched in the page of downloads, which one I can't post here because I get a message telling I'm spamming :shock:
Sorry, I can't help with installing opera, but I did look into the spam filter issue. It turns out that the opera site allows users to post anything they want under blogs and we have been spammed several times about subjects so vulgar that I can't list them here or I should be filtered myself. As a result the entire site was filtered. I've adjusted that filter so that only the blogs should be filtered, further attempts to link to the opera downloads should be OK, at least until spammers find a way to bypass the more restrictive filter. (If you have an opera blog, you will not be able to link to it, on topic or not).

JohnnyH
05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
OK let's give this a try ;) , go to
http://www.opera.com/download/
Select Debian from the distribution & vendor drop-down menu, then
select Debian 4.0 (Etch) from the Debian drop-down menu
which is the one most likely to be compatible with the libraries of your Knoppix 5.0 .
No guarantees ;) you might have to apt-get install some updated dependencies from the debian etch repository, so make sure that your /etc/apt/sources.list is pointing at that:-

N.B.1 In /etc/apt/sources.list change the words testing (and unstable or experimental if applicable) to etch in, at least, the official debian repository URLs.
Other URLs in the file may be OK changing sarge to etch; I haven't necessarily tried them (I'm running Knoppix 5.1.1 and Debian Etch)

N.B.2 AVOID using apt-get upgrade as it may scramble your packaging system unless you put some packages on 'hold' .

drb
05-25-2007, 11:02 PM
klik opera is another possibility

cbagger01
05-26-2007, 02:35 PM
You should also be able use "Static DEB" version. It is a larger download but does not depend on specific versions of other libraries like the normal versions of Opera.

Download the file.
Open a terminal window and type:

sudo su

(or instead choose "Open a root terminal" from the menu)

Then type:

dpkg -i name_of_the_file_you_just_downloaded.deb

It should now be installed.

dolcema
05-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Thank you, I see I have lots of options,

I'm going to test them all and see what of them it fits me more

Greets :D