PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to save files from HD, but gpart not reading HD

bunkeroo26
05-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Hello, and thank you for the time in helping me before hand. I have been searching around the forum, trying to figure out my problems, and I have been unable to find an answer. Sorry for any rogue K's in the post, defective keyboard here.

While I was on my computer earlier today, it suddenly rebooted. The reboot would not get past the Win XP loadikng screen with the moving bar. So, I loaded Knoppix, to try and save the important data from the now suspected problematic drive. At the least I figure I have to reinstall Win XP.

So, I opened Knoppix, mounted the hd partition named hda1, and opened it up. No files or folders were available for me to copy and get off. So, I figure I need to use testdisk and/or gpart. Here is what I get from those two

i type gpart hda
***k Fatal error: open (hda) : No such file or directory

i type gpart hdak1
same error

i type testdisk
testdis: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

gpart /dev/hda
Fatal error : open(/dev/hda): Permission denied.

I am running a Toshiba satellite 1415-s173 notebook

when i type dmesg i get a variety of info..
kkhere is some info that looks important to me at the end of it
ide:kkkkkfailed opcode was : unknonw
end request:i/o error, dev hda, sector 3566k5055
bufferk i/o error on device hda1, logical block 4458124
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hda:dma_intr: error=0x40 {UncorrectableError }, kLBAsect=35665079k, sector=35665063

does that same message for block kkkkkkk5063 5071 5055 and 5079

I am Very new to Linux, so any detailed help would be appreciated

Thanks
Trey

bunkeroo26
05-30-2007, 09:14 PM
any suggestions?

Herman 16
06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Hello bunkeroo26,
I tried to run gpart and when I tried with the same commands you used I got the same error. When I tried 'sudo gpart /dev/hda' it scanned my hard first hard disk and gave me the output, so gpart seems to work when we use 'sudo' in front of the command.

I didn't have any luck at first with TestDisk either, even with 'sudo', I got exactly the same error as you, so you aren't the only one.
Then I read a fix for it by Friedrich involving making a symlink in the /usr/lib directory in this thread, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26719&highlight=testdisk and tried it but that didn't work for me in my old Knoppix CD. That did work in my 5.1.1DVD though. Try that, it should fix it for you especially if you have the latest Knoppix.

Regards, Herman :D [/url]