PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Persistent Home?

Laos
06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I love knoppix DVD, however, i want to make a persistent home otherwise my work is almost useless. The problem is atm is that i have both my hard drives seperately partitioned with NTFS

Partitioning is not an option, using the latest (5.1.1) knoppix dvd, is it possible to have a persistent home in a NTFS hard drive? Pretty much not as a partition but just as a folder/file.

i read it possible on older knoppixs, what about current?

SiKing
06-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't see why it should not work. Have you tried it?

Laos
06-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Will the hard drive be formatted? If it wont I'm up for it.

ndb
06-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I love knoppix DVD, however, i want to make a persistent home otherwise my work is almost useless. The problem is atm is that i have both my hard drives seperately partitioned with NTFS

Partitioning is not an option, using the latest (5.1.1) knoppix dvd, is it possible to have a persistent home in a NTFS hard drive? Pretty much not as a partition but just as a folder/file.

I have a similar situation. I bought the smallest, cheapest USB drive possible (I assume you probably have available USB ports, given that you have a DVD drive). The path is:

K -> Knoppix -> configure -> save consistent image (It might be persistent - I'm reading from my notes). Go with the default size of 100M. I had weird grief with any other size.

You leave the USB key in the port until you shutdown AND the drive is sync'd and unmounted.

To boot, you put the DVD in the drive, the USB in the port, and re-boot. Then use the cheatcode knoppix home=scan.

Cheers!

Laos
06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
i tried to do this on a NTFS partition, it finishes, i shutdown and reboot etc. and use the cheatcode but i wont detect the knoppix persistent home image

i see the image on the hard drive too!

I also tried manually with home=/dev/sda2

P.S. would the fact i start knoppix with two cheat codes cause a problem?

boot: knoppix home=scan xmodule=vesa

thats my boot command

ndb
06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
i tried to do this on a NTFS partition, it finishes, i shutdown and reboot etc. and use the cheatcode but i wont detect the knoppix persistent home image

i see the image on the hard drive too!

I also tried manually with home=/dev/sda2

P.S. would the fact i start knoppix with two cheat codes cause a problem?

boot: knoppix home=scan xmodule=vesa

Are you saying you created the image on your NTFS partition? I haven't tried to make my HD writable (by default, it's read only), but I have heard that it can be dangerous. That's why I suggested the USB key. Also, I've used three and more cheat codes without a problem, other than typos. I have never used an xmodule cheat, however.

Laos
06-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I've heard rumors of ways to do this with a CD, however atm i cannot grab a 4 gig USB unit.

ndb
06-04-2007, 01:31 AM
... i cannot grab a 4 gig USB unit.

I just bought a 256M USB drive. The default size of 100M seemed to work best for me anyway.

Laos
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
if anyone can think of why it doesnt work let me know, thanks

SiKing
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
if anyone can think of why it doesnt work let me know, thanks
Which "it" are you referring to?

Try it out! Your existing partition will not be formatted. The persistent home only creates a file on a partition of your choice, size of your choice. If this gives you problems, post more information: what did you try, what happened ...

Laos
06-11-2007, 11:37 AM
well you see, thats it. nothing happens. I load up knoppix in the cd, give it home=scan and also tried home=/media/sda2 + xmodule=vesa on both and it loads. it reads the xmodule part but not the home part. and i need both to run.

Laos
06-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I got another hard drive with 300GB of space. so I'm fine now

this can close