PDA

View Full Version : I can't install knoppix dvd but I can install the cd

evangelion
06-06-2007, 06:13 AM
I want to install knoppix dvd and I can't do it. I installed one time succesfully though.
However I can install knoppix cd, and begins installing with 1%, while with dvd it begins with 80% and it stucks there. The percentage don't move anymore. These are the partitions I have:

01 sda-1 free hidden 7.81 mb
02 sda1 extended 56 gb
03 sda5 reiserfs activa 56 gb
04 sda3 linuxswap 3 gb
05 sda2 fat32 15.42

so it always ask me to install in sda5, it doesn't give me other option.
I also don't know what is the sda-1 partition, with hidden state, is it usual to have this in the hard drive?

Thanks and regards

JohnnyH
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I want to install knoppix dvd and I can't do it. I installed one time succesfully though.
Please clarify the statement for us; was the successful installation :-
- from the same physical DVD ?
- witth the same version of Knoppix ? ...
- ...and which Knoppix is it ?
- installation to the same hardware ?

However I can install knoppix cd, and begins installing with 1%, while with dvd it begins with 80% and it stucks there. The percentage don't move anymore. These are the partitions I have:

01 sda-1 free hidden 7.81 mb
02 sda1 extended 56 gb
03 sda5 reiserfs activa 56 gb
04 sda3 linuxswap 3 gb
05 sda2 fat32 15.42

When you obtained this data (please identify which method you used), exactly what was installed in which partition:-
- Windows in sda2 perhaps ?
- your Knoppix CD installation in sda5 ? ...
- ... and if so did you install the Boot Loader in the root partition sda5 or in the Master Boot Record ?

so it always ask me to install in sda5, it doesn't give me other option. (... as expected).

I also don't know what is the sda-1 partition, with hidden state, is it usual to have this in the hard drive?
- (Might it be the space allocated to the Master Boot Record ?) ... what is the output of fdisk -l ?

devashish
06-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I think you have a corrupt dvd, try going to init 4 and installing from there, then you can see the error messages,so
#init 4
#knoppix-installer

if you see some IO error repeating itself, eject the edvd and reinsert it