PDA

View Full Version : Please, help to install OMNeT++ on Knoppix!!!

maxijanko
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi all

I need your help very urgently.

I am a newbie at Knoppix, I need your help. In my computer I have Windows XP installed, however, I want to use a software (OMNeT++) and make different simulations from console, for this reason, I need to run on Linux OS.
I have a Live-CD with knoppix. I boot my PC from CD and Knoppix is launched, in my directory I decompress OMNeT++ (in omnetpp sub-directory as it is mentioned after) software and these are the next instructions to be followed and I need some help:

##A sub-directory called omnetpp will be created which will contain the simulator
files. You should now add the following lines to your startup file (.bashrc
or .bash_profile if you're using bash; .profile if you're using some other
sh-like shell):

export PATH=$PATH:~/omnetpp/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/omnetpp/lib

For these variables to be included in the environment you will need to
restart the shell before proceeding (logout and login again).##

When is referring to the shell, is it simply the Console? I use Console to introduce the commands, where can I found the startup file to add these lines that are required to use OMNeT software?
Please could you let me know how to modify startup file?

Many thanks in advance.

SiKing
06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
You are apparently getting into something that is way over your head right now. I don't want to discourage you, but you will need to learn some prerequisites first. Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASH, continue with all the External Links from that page. After that feel free to come back if you still have questions...

onemyndseye
06-12-2007, 07:24 AM
SiKing is certainly correct - You need to do alittle reading :)

However the file you seek is: /etc/profile :)

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

turbine
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
On my system, knoppix 4.02, the file is /home/knoppix/.bashrc

Note that the filename starts with a dot, which makes it a hidden file. Once
you edit this file with your changes, you may have to su to root to do so, save
the file, exit the terminal and then open a new terminal. You can cat the file
to see that your changes have taken.

SiKing
06-14-2007, 03:43 PM
On my system, knoppix 4.02, the file is /home/knoppix/.bashrc
The system always reads /etc/profile first, followed by .bash_profile or .bashrc if either of those exist. The exact rules are actually more complicated than this; if you want to know the gory details, have a read here (http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#SEC65).

Note that the filename starts with a dot, which makes it a hidden file. Once
you edit this file with your changes, you may have to su to root to do so
If you need su to edit anything in your home, then you have done something wrong at some point in the past.