PDA

View Full Version : trouble with knoppix on thumb drive

Brudus
06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm trying to get knoppix on my thumb drive. I saw are earlier post where someone linked this this site wich had instructions. (www.tuxmachines.org/node/14738). Well I followed the instructions exactly like they said, but I still wasn't able to boot knoppix from my thumb drive. I even did it twice. Has anyone found these instructions sucessful. Is there anything I need to change with them.

greenfly
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I've noticed on many of my thumb drives that there was no default MBR on them to start so even though you might set everything up the right way and run pxelinux correctly, it still wouldn't boot. Under Knoppix, use the fixmbr utility to put the default dos boot code on the thumb drive. So if your thumb drive is /dev/sda1 you'd type:

sudo fixmbr /dev/sda1

Or on Windows you'd type:

fdisk /mbr

Brudus
06-13-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm sorry greenfly but your suggestion did not work. First, with windows XP fdisk /fixmbr doesn't work. If you want to fix your master boot record you have to use the recovery console. Second your suggestion of "sudo fixmbr /dev/sda1" didn't work either, it told me fixmbr wasn't a valid command. I just tried to get knoppix on my thumb drive for a second time and I got the same error when I tried to boot. Has anyone gotten knoppix on a thumb drive to boot? Please help.

greenfly
06-18-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry greenfly but your suggestion did not work. First, with windows XP fdisk /fixmbr doesn't work. If you want to fix your master boot record you have to use the recovery console. Second your suggestion of "sudo fixmbr /dev/sda1" didn't work either, it told me fixmbr wasn't a valid command. I just tried to get knoppix on my thumb drive for a second time and I got the same error when I tried to boot. Has anyone gotten knoppix on a thumb drive to boot? Please help.

Which version of Knoppix are you using? 5.1.1 should have the fixmbr utility and as far as I know, every version of Knoppix at least from 3.4 has had the fixmbr tool.