PDA

View Full Version : PS/2 Mouse not working

lkraemer
06-14-2007, 03:38 AM
I am trying to get Knoppix ver 5.1.1 to detect my Logitech Marble Mouse (USB to 9 Pin DIN Adapter) in a PS/2
Port on my Compaq Presario 1672 AMD K6-2 350 MHZ with 192 Meg of Ram during bootup of the Knoppix LiveCD.
My /ETC/X11/XORG.conf file has:
# PS/2 Mouse not detected
# Serial Mouse not detected
InputDevice "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"

but it should be
# PS/2 Mouse detected
# Serial Mouse not detected
InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"

I have copied the file to my desktop and made the changes, but how can I force Knoppix to
use this updated file the next time it boots from CDR?
I would also like to force the next boot to be:

boot: Knoppix noapm nofirewire

I am new to Knoppix, so I need detailed information please......

Thanks.

Larry

marques
06-27-2007, 12:51 PM
well, this kind of problem is the very same I have as soon I'd have a try with this new 5.1.1 version.
And it seems to be a problem fluorished right after the 5.0.1version.
My configuration is an AMD 64x2 on ASUS motherboard with chipset nForce4, graphic card nVidia 6800 GS, mouse either a PS/2 or USB Logitech.

As a matter of fact any version (even the 4.0.2, the one is running now), WORKS FLAWLESSLY WITH ANY MOUSE.
That's why I'll stick with my precious 5.0.1.

If you'll get no reply, try the 5.0.1 version. I'm sure it'll works for you (google with "sw+knoppix+5.0.1" and select the first entry, it's an EN ver...).

cheers

:?

HatGuy
06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
The default driver works, but the mouse is way skittish, and Knoppix 3.4 found the right driver (worked fine!). :?

HatGuy

marques
07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
The default driver works, but the mouse is way skittish, and Knoppix 3.4 found the right driver (worked fine!). :?

HatGuy

You mean you are able to see the mouse cursor once the Konqueror is opened?

To me appears at the very beginning a "bouncing" mouse cursor, then it disappears...
By the way yes, 3.4 and 3.8 both work fine and all the versions right before 5.1.
It seems nothing but a bug in KDE, I guess

HatGuy
07-05-2007, 12:11 AM

HatGuy

You mean you are able to see the mouse cursor once the Konqueror is opened?

Everything works as you would expect, in Konqueror and all other windows, except that the mouse jumps and bounces unpredictably.

marques
07-07-2007, 03:02 AM
>> Everything works as you would expect, in Konqueror and all other windows, except that the mouse jumps and bounces unpredictably.

weird... hope this could be useful to you:

I have found a post in this forum where the option xmodule=vesa can be used at boot.
My boot options are as follow, just added the one above
knoppix floppyconfig noagp nopcmcia xmodule=vesa noswap

Well, my mouse cursor works, at last. I tweaked only its acceleration up to 4.0 and everything goes fine. Perhaps you can try it.

lkraemer
07-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I have tried:
boot: knoppix nowheelmouse pci=irqmask=0x0e98

along with a PS/2 (2 Button) mouse & a PS/2 (3 button) mouse and none of them are detected.

My Compaq 1672 touchpad with left/right buttons are the only thing that will make the cursor move.

Help me get my mouse working, please!

Larry.

lkraemer
07-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Moderators - HELP PLEASE!
Doesn't anyone who knows Knoppix read these postings and offer a new guy some help?

I have tried Knoppix ver 5.0.1 and it has the same problem of not detecting my Logitech
Marble mouse (9 Pin Din to USB Adapter to Marble Mouse).

I need some detailed instructions on what information to forward to the GURU's to get my
PS/2 Mouse working so I can play with Knoppix.

Thanks.

Larry

OErjan
07-18-2007, 08:34 AM
if reconfiguring Xserver helps you may try to save config and make a permanent home on a smallish USB drive (32M up)
have you tried to use the USB jack? it should work I tried that on a compaq (380MHZ) and that worked.
also I think you should read this links for more info on linux on that particular laptop
http://www.delanoscientific.com/cpq1675.html
as you see that jumping mouse is (on older kernels) a "hardware" problem only possible to solve by installing linux and recompiling the kernel with a patch on newer kernels that should be solved i guess Knoppix does not include that driver and that linux tries anotherone as default...
sadly that is nothing for a beginner to deal with and even sader is that you have one of a mere handfull of laptops with that particular problem.