PDA

View Full Version : usb flash drive doesn't work after booting without udev

EV-vD
06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm new with linux, so to try it I downloaded Knoppix V5.1.1.
After burning the CD I put it in the diskdrive, restarted the conputer and waited, it didn't work in one time, but at last it worked when I typed "expert noudev noaudio", so I could see what it looked like.

But now my problem, I can't look in my USB flash drive, I suspect that's because of the noudev part (I don't know what udev is, but it can't be because of the no audio, can it?).

Does anybody know how to fix this (by loading udev after I started knoppix maybe, but how). Maybe this also fixes my strange acting USB mouse, it jumps from left to right and back if I'm trying to point something (and I didn't drink :wink: )

SiKing
06-14-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm new with linux, so to try it I downloaded Knoppix V5.1.1.
Welcome, hope you stay a while. :)

But now my problem, I can't look in my USB flash drive, I suspect that's because of the noudev part (I don't know what udev is, but it can't be because of the no audio, can it?).
You're correct, it's the udev part. udev is quite important to Linux (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ), as it basically handles a lot of your hardware, such as USB flash drives.

Does anybody know how to fix this (by loading udev after I started knoppix maybe, but how).
Yes, you will need udev. How far does the boot get, if you supply no cheatcodes at all? You will need to figure out what is it that is causing the problems, and disable just that. noudev is almost like disabling half of your computer.

EV-vD
06-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your quick answer, I appreciate it, but (as always) after I posted the question I found the answer: I read about somebody who solved it by changing something in the BIOS, so I tried that (with some care, I don't want to make the other users of this computer too angry by making changes they do notice, but as you can see my computer still works :D).
It worked, so this problem is solved: I can start by just pressing " enter" now. But I'll probably return with some other questions later.

wbatw
06-16-2007, 04:15 AM
care to post a link to that BIOS fix?

Harry Kuhman
06-16-2007, 04:38 AM
care to post a link to that BIOS fix?
I hope not. Doing so would only cause confusion and might get some people to ruin their mother boards. You don't just flip a few bits to fix a BIOS, you flash it with new BIOS code (for any modern BIOS), and that code is very specific to the manufacturer and specific motherboard model. So the best advice if you're seeing the same problems and hope to fix it by fixing the BIOS would be to check your manufacturer's website and see if there is an update posted, and flash your BIOS with that if it's newer than your current BIOS.

It likely would be helpful if we knew what brand of BIOS was affected by this problem (not what brand of motherboard, but what brand of BIOS it uses, AMI, Pheonix or whatever), and if there is any insight on a specific fix in the update notes that addresses this, so that others could confirm that their new BIOS also has this fix. Note: Some manufacturers may put out updates more slowly (or not at all) than other motherboard manufacturers. If this is the case your only fix may be to pester the motherboard manufacturer or buy a different motherboard (hopefully a different brand).

wbatw
06-16-2007, 06:17 AM
so - what other forums can we go to for useful knoppix info?