PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on USB key (Persistent Mode)

LAF
06-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi,

I have Knoppix 5.1 on USB Key. When I boot the key, I select the 2nd option:

SYSTEM: Add as persistent writable system area.

Everything works great, it saves every changes and new stuff on my USB Key (Persistent mode).

The next time I boot from the key, I get a message:

Knoppix.img was not cleanly unmounted.

Then it fixes a bunch of inodes, block and whatever else.

I don't notice anything wrong in Knoppix. It's just drives me nuts that is does that everytime I boot.

Is there something I can configure to help Knoppix to cleanly Unmount?

Thanks,

Marc.

Laos
06-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I did this with a hard drive as well and get the same result,
ext format, which is best for linux

although it automatically detects, using home= cheatcode DOES NOT work when it does auto detect.

TriathlonDad
11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi,

I have the same experience, except that I cannot seem to get my files to persist. I've followed two different sets of directions to install Knoppix 5.1.1 to a USB drive (http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/14738?page=1 and http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02/20/installing-usb-knoppix-51-using-linux/). The procedures are essentially the same; one is a command line process and the other is a GUI process. I also completed the steps for persisting files to the USB.

Knoppix 5.1.1 boots nicely from my USB, I get the Knoppix configuration menu of different options Home, System, Overwrite, Init. One issue is that I do not understand the implications of these different options and haven't found any documentation on them yet (still looking).

Based upon LAF's post, I tried using only the SYSTEM option. I opened the console and created a file. Then I rebooted. After selecting "SYSTEM" in the configuration menus.

So, my questions are: What should I select at the Knoppix Configuration Menu? Where should I create my files to persist them?

Oh, one more thing. When I look at the properties of /dev/sba2 (the 2nd partition on the USB drive) by right clicking on the icon from the desktop, and look at the Device tab, the "Read only" box was checked. That doesn't seem right. Is this why files don't persist there?

I would appreciate any pointers folks can offer.

Many thanks,

Peter